which reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
again, i am confused. is there some magical formula i am missing here?

If you buy online from those places you linked and live in the US it is VERY unlikely that AL/SP would honor the warranty or a US based dealer would.

I know you know this so why the "playing dumb"?

i just don't get it, that's all

i show up at the local dive shop, hand them my regulators, say, something broke,
it's an Apeks regulator

what else do I need to present for them to honor the warranty?

Here's a dumb thought...If you are only going to use it 2-3 times per year, why would you want to own one when you can rent one? If you keep it stored all year, you're going to have to have it maintained yearly (or possibly every other year). Most places around here charge about $70 plus extra for O2 cleaning if you use nitrox. It seems like alot of money to spend for so few dives.

H2Andy:

i show up at the local dive shop, hand them my regulators, say, something broke,
it's an Apeks regulator

receipt showing it was purchased in US. Why being obtuse?

well we may only go on dive vacations 2-3 times a year but in those vacations we dive several days and out of those days we might dive two dives a day

H2Andy:
again, i am confused. is there some magical formula i am missing here?

Yes, Apeks and Aqualung will only warranty items purchased by a US dealer in the US. The first time you go for service you could have a problem since you will need the warranty certification from Apeks for record keeping and parts.

Hope they issue one or they don't ask for it where you have it serviced.

H2Andy:

it's an Apeks regulator

There are these things called "serial numbers" on the first and second stages. Authorized dealers check those against the manufacturers database in order to ensure that they will be receiving free parts for service or be reimbursed for parts.

I would buy the regulator rather than rent. After a few years the cost difference isn't much. Yes you still have to have it serviced, but at least you know what you have. You never know how many dives a rental unit has on it before you get it. Or how it's been treated.

My advice is to buy a mid ranged model from your LDS. Use leisure pro for knives, lights, and other misc gear. If you buy an aqualung model, most dealers (at least most that I know) will give you free parts as long as it's serviced annually. So pay for the service, and get the service parts free.

My suggestion is the Aqua lung Titan. It's based on the conshelf which has been around for over 30 years. And every dive shop should be able to service it. So if you are off somewhere and something happens, you should be able to get it fixed in an emergency.

H2Andy:

it's an Apeks regulator

If I understand this correctly...

Andy, you are talking about a "warranty" as in a manufacturers responsibility to warrant that the product is free from defects, NOT the "free parts" service deal that we often see referred to as a warranty.

Am I right? Am I actually starting to figure you out?

Mark Vlahos

jbichsel:
There are these things called "serial numbers" on the first and
second stages. Authorized dealers check those against the manufacturers
database in order to ensure that they will be receiving free parts for service or be
reimbursed for parts.

exactly, and i sent my warranty card in already, as i stated in this post.
you might have missed that part.

Mark Vlahos:
Andy, you are talking about a "warranty" as in a manufacturers responsibility to warrant that the product is free from defects, NOT the "free parts" service deal that we often see referred to as a warranty.

i am talking about any service the warranty entitles me to.

my regs came with a warranty card, i filled that out, sent it in.

what else do i have to do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom