Which regs should I keep?

Which 1st stage should I stick with?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The advice to keep them all, or any of them, is a bad advice I think. Those that are giving this advice are either pack rats/gear hoarders or "Museum" types for nostalgic reasons. It is better to sell them and use the money to buy a modern regulator such as the ones suggested above; MK25/17/11 or 19.

The advice to keep them all, or any of them, is a bad advice I think. Those that are giving this advice are either pack rats or "Museum" types for nostalgic reasons. It is better to sell them and use the money to buy a modern regulator such as the ones suggested above; MK25/17/11 or 19.
Out of genuine curiosity, what is the noticable improvement for an average recreational diver in switching from a Mk10 to a Mk25? Or from a Conshelf to a "modern" diaphragm 1st?

Respectfully,

James

Out of genuine curiosity, what is the noticable improvement for an average recreational diver in switching from a Mk10 to a Mk25? Or from a Conshelf to a "modern" diaphragm 1st?

Respectfully,

James

That's another debate and discussion. Lots of improvements and enhancements but, that's another discussion.

First off, I am a gear hoarder....

Some day, it will all need to go (to my wife's joy)

If I was to be spending my days on shallow warm water reefs, a simple MKk-2 (EVO if you need current model) and a high performance balanced second would be the likely selection for me to be diving with...

Respectfully,

James
Future parts and service. Most people don’t service their own gear. (Despite the prevailing sentiment on SB).

That's another debate and discussion. Lots of improvements and enhancements but, that's another discussion.
Respectfully, if the advice given is "get rid of the old, buy new" then whether the "lot's of improvements and enhancements" are actually noticeable/significant for the OPs use case seems pertinent to the discussion.
Future parts and service. Most people don’t service their own gear. (Despite the prevailing sentiment on SB).
Fair enough, though I think that also comes down where you have them serviced. Both regs I mentioned have aftermarket consumables available.... But some shops will only use OEM service kits.

James

Respectfully, if the advice given is "get rid of the old, buy new" then whether the "lot's of improvements and enhancements" are actually noticeable/significant for the OPs use case seems pertinent to the discussion.

Fair enough, though I think that also comes down where you have them serviced. Both regs I mentioned have aftermarket consumables available.... But some shops will only use OEM service kits.

James
A Conshelf 14 does not even have the right sized HP port and requires an adapter to use a normal hose. It is still serviceable at least.

I have a Scubapro MK5/109 that I bought in 1972. It had one 3/8" HP pressure port and 2 LP ports. Some number of years ago I had it upgraded with a new yoke attachment, 4 LP port turret, and a 7/16" HP port adapter.

I dive it occasionally, it performs flawlessly and is quite beautiful and shiny.

But some shops will only use OEM service kits.

James
You’re not kidding. I put one of the non-splined nuts on a buddy’s G260 and he sent the reg to be serviced at a well-known dealer in N.Carolina. They would not service the 260 without the original nut. The tech kicked up a stink. Ridiculous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom