Which SCUBApro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just priced the mark 17 g250 combo at local sp dealer it was 650 dollars ,too much for me,ill stick with my 20 yearold scubapro.

Not sure what the MK17 is going for, but in terms of 2nd stages, the S550, G250, and X650 would be in order from least to most expensive. The MK2/R190 should be around $250 list. (I think I paid $225 2 years ago.)

Regarding diveinn's comment about sticking with his 20 year old SP reg, there is alot to be said for finding a good condition older SP reg and getting it rebuilt. I bought my MK15 and G250 (older style w/metal air barrel) for about $100 each and $50 for my metal case balanced adjustable, which is a GREAT 2nd stage IMO. I then paid around $100 to have all three stages expertly rebuilt and tuned, giving me a final cost of $350 to get a very high performing and reliable reg set.

As suggested, I would probably go with MK17+G250hp combo as well.

Around here, G250 combos cost more then any other packages, should you manage to find them. It goes something like S600, X650, G250, starting with the cheapest in range.

Funny thing, since they are not on the SP European website for the last two years or so...

Mk2/R190 has a list of about $265. If the LDS will deal you may be able to buy one for about $225 or a bit more, I think my LDS is getting $235 right now for it. The other set I have not priced but will be considerably more.

Properly tuned a Mk2/R190 is a pretty decent breathing rig. I bought one for my wife to start on & now it's my daughters reg. It's a very old design, they've been making them forever it seems. A simple, dependable little workhorse.

i'd suggest the mk20/R390 set up. the mk 17/g250 is a simple set up as well. i've had a mk200/g200 set up for years & it still feels great. of course with regular service check ups. i don't notice any inhilation efforts at depth or anything.

rakayaker:
I just picked up the mk17/s555 from my lds for about $325. They aren't supposed to discount more than 10% but they gave me a pretty decent deal (I think). I found a review on http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/best_new_regs_of_2006/ which reviews all of the newer 2006 regs. Hope it's helpful.

I think its a great deal. My LDS price for MK17/S550 is $350. Where is your LDS located?

Mk 2 is no doubt a good regulator, with the 295 second stage it would be plenty good for rec dive,if you choose Mk 17 i suggest the s 600 second stage.
I have Mk 11 Which is a simple diaphram regulator same as Mk 17 but with out dry amb chamber.
along with it i have the 295 second ,works great!
No mattr what you choose you will be ok ,scuba pro rules dude.

The R190 is really designed to be an Octo although it could be used as the primary. I have a MK11 first stage (because I wanted balanced instead of piston design and I will never be caught in cold water) and a R295 second stage. I have used other regs including the 555 and 650 and find no difference in them than in my 295. If you have to have that tuning dial, go with the 650; if you can live without it, try stepping up from the 190 to the 295. I paid my LDS around $220-230 for my MK11 / R295. After paying a small fortune (around $1700) for my Smart Com and Glide Plus BCD with AIR2, I was thrilled to see a reasonably priced reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom