Which shops offer technical diving in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I Teach Rebreathers so go on the List.
Aloha Mark.

SCR or ccr? Do you teach air dil, normoxic mix, and hypoxic mix? Do you offer trimix fills? Do you conduct technical charters?

Does ocean concepts offer trimix fills?

Curious minds want to know where the sudden explosion of technical dive centers is coming from...

If there is another (legitimate) source for trimix other than idh or self mixing on the island i would love to hear about it.

Last edited:
Hmm Sherman,

I think you now know the answers to all those questions, at least when it comes to CCR & tech diving, charters, instruction & fills on the Big Island, since you just left here. I offer all that...except for SCR as you know.
'
Congratulations on your successful completion of your course with us. I'll let you reveal the information when you're ready to post.

Safe diving.

Jim

SCR or ccr? Do you teach air dil, normoxic mix, and hypoxic mix? Do you offer trimix fills? Do you conduct technical charters?

Does ocean concepts offer trimix fills?

Curious minds want to know where the sudden explosion of technical dive centers is coming from...

If there is another (legitimate) source for trimix other than idh or self mixing on the island i would love to hear about it.

Ocean Concepts offers trimix fills at their Waianae shop - although some individuals on this list have stated that they don't fill tanks without their own stickers - I've never had that problem.

Absolutely correct, OC offers Enriched Air, Oxygen, and Trimix fills using a HPI booster. Having conducted Technical training for and with OC since 1999, I can verify their technical program is not an "all of sudden program."

To address the fill issue: OC fills all cylinders having a current Visual Eddy VIP, regardless of where the VIP was conducted.

Contact Ocean Concepts Waianae for current prices on all fills, (808) 696-7200. Divers can drop cylinders at either the Ocean Concepts Pearl Harbor or Schofield Bks locations. Tanks will be filled and divers can pick them up at the location they dropped them off.

To address the fill issue: OC fills all cylinders having a current Visual Eddy VIP, regardless of where the VIP was conducted.

Out of curiosity, why do you require an Eddy test on all cylinders? Isn't it just needed on older aluminum tanks made from 6351 alloy?

Thanks,

Matt

Hmm Sherman,

I think you now know the answers to all those questions, at least when it comes to CCR & tech diving, charters, instruction & fills on the Big Island, since you just left here. I offer all that...except for SCR as you know.

As a quick addendum to that, I can teach thru trimix CCR (NAUI) on the PRISM, and SCR for the Dolphin and Ray (TDI/PADI) and I have a trimix fill station in my garage (when the Rix is working :shakehead:).

Jim Holt:
Congratulations on your successful completion of your course with us.

Ditto! Congrats!

Out of curiosity, why do you require an Eddy test on all cylinders? Isn't it just needed on older aluminum tanks made from 6351 alloy?

Thanks,

Matt
1. We have condemned newer 6061 alloy aluminum cylinders for neck cracks...not sustained load cracks (SLC) such as found in 6351 alloy cylinders, but cracks emanating from folds that were introduced at the time of manufacture as an anomaly. This includes 2 brand new Luxfer cylinders just off the pallet that were not yet placed into service.

2. We have also condemned 6061 alloy cylinders for neck cracks that were caused by bi-metallic corrosion that produced stress cracks in the threaded portion of the cylinder as the valve and cylinder were forced to separate by the build up of corrosive materials.

The new Visual Plus 3 eddy current machine in service at all Ocean Concepts locations is calibrated for both alloys and have the cylinder manufacturer's (Luxfer & Catalina) approval for use for both alloys.

As a final thought for those with concern about the practice of conducting eddy current VIPs on all aluminum cylinders and only filling aluminum cylinders that have eddy current VIPs, regardless of the dive center that did the VIP, it has always been about diver and dive center staff safety and nothing further. We understand that some may not agree, but ultimately, we believe eddy current inspection of all aluminum alloy cylinders is a “best practice”.

Bob Bennett

News from Luxfer's website is that while they do "allow" the the use of the Visual Plus 3 eddy current machine for use on testing 6061 alloy tanks, they do "recommend against" it as their proof is overwhelming that 6061 does not develop SLCs as well as the machines can still give false positives on 6061 tanks do to misreading folds and dirty threads as cracks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom