Which shops offer technical diving in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

News from Luxfer's website is that while they do "allow" the the use of the Visual Plus 3 eddy current machine for use on testing 6061 alloy tanks, they do "recommend against" it as their proof is overwhelming that 6061 does not develop SLCs as well as the machines can still give false positives on 6061 tanks do to misreading folds and dirty threads as cracks.

In the interest of accuracy, rockjock3's statement [while they (Luxfer) do "allow" the use of Visual Plus 3 eddy current machine for the use on 6061 alloy tanks, they do "recommend against" it] is incorrect. please reference the following links Luxfer: Press Releases and http://www.luxfercylinders.com/news/releases/20041011.shtml; these press releases from Luxfer clearly states that both newer generation eddy current machines Visual Eddy Mark V from Flare Technologies & Visual Plus 3 from AIT are approved for use for both 6061 & 6351 alloys; nowhere in these Luxfer statements do they "recommend against" the use of these VP3/Mark V machines.

While it is correct that Luxfer did not recommend the use of older generation eddy current machines for use other than 6351 alloy cylinders, it is not because the machines were incapable of detecting cracks in 6061 alloy; it required a greater level of user expertise that can only be obtained from proper training and experience of use. It is interesting to note that Luxfer did use VP2 machines in their own factories on 6061 alloy cylinders prior to aquiring the newer generation eddy current machines, and the test standards used to calibrate both the VP2 & VP3 are manufactured from 6061 alloy aluminum.

It is true that 6061 alloy cylinders to date have not exhibited neck cracks from sustained load (slc), they have nonetheless manifested neck cracks from other issues (mainly manufactured anomalies & corrosion stress-induced) and we have documented over 40 neck cracks in 6061 alloy cylinders that were confirmed by visual inspection with a magnified light source.

An eddy current test is not a replacement for visual inspection, only an aid to compliment the inspection process; the use of all available technologies in order to prevent catastrophic cylinder failure should be commended, not discouraged. After all, shouldn't we be responsible to protect those most in danger of cylinder explosion; the fill station operator, employees of dive centers and their patrons?

An eddy current test is not a replacement for visual inspection, only an aid to compliment the inspection process; the use of all available technologies in order to prevent catastrophic cylinder failure should be commended, not discouraged. After all, shouldn't we be responsible to protect those most in danger of cylinder explosion; the fill station operator, employees of dive centers and their patrons?

Absolutely agree. However, what's your stance on VIP+ on Steel tanks. Yes it is a loaded question...I am asking because OC refused to fill a STEEL tank, reason: It did not have a VIP+. This is some time ago, and maybe they changed their policy...I don't know, nor do I really care...I just want to go diving and if that means I take it somewhere else that doesn't hassle me about paying for their newest and coolest toy then I will.

so what if I walked in with faber lp95s will you fill them if I don't have a VIP plus?

we believe eddy current inspection of all aluminum alloy cylinders is a “best practice”.

Bob Bennett

I would guess that he would fill them

See above.

Shop monkey mistake?????

Oh well, I'm outta here. Not my place. I might have to get that badge back now that you have gone CCR though :wink:

Absolutely agree. However, what's your stance on VIP+ on Steel tanks. Yes it is a loaded question...I am asking because OC refused to fill a STEEL tank, reason: It did not have a VIP+. This is some time ago, and maybe they changed their policy...I don't know, nor do I really care...I just want to go diving and if that means I take it somewhere else that doesn't hassle me about paying for their newest and coolest toy then I will.

Eddy current technology for HP scuba cylinders are restricted only to aluminum alloy; they are not for use on steel cylinders.

Back
Top Bottom