Which Wrist Computer To Start Out With

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

urbaneve71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Before I jump into a fully integrated computer I am considerdering one of these 3 and would like some feedback:

Aeris XR-1 NX Nitrox Wrist Top Scuba Dive Diving Computer
Mares Puck Wrist Computer
Oceanic Veo 180 Air/Nitrox Wrist Dive Computer

they do not have the transmitter that hooks to the tank -- so exctally how does it read what you have left in your tank and such. Do you program it with what you have in your tank air wise?

Any information would be helpful,
I have always dove with tranditional gauges and now I am waiting to upgrade and would love some input.
Thanks

You just look at your pressure gauge, it doesn't track it. Air integrated computers with transmitters add something on the order of $500 or more for that functionality. And they are not universally loved.

XR1s are still around? AFAIK they have no PC uplink, that would be an automatic fail for me. For the rest the uplink kits are usually just under $100 unless you run into a closeout sale.

I think the main practical difference between Puck and Veo 180 is the former has a more conservative algorithm that can, with just the right wrong dive profiles, give you noticeably shorter NDL times than the latter. Veo's supposed be close to PADI tables, so if you're used to planning with those, that could be a plus.

Hollis DG03 is $250 and you can add the transmitter later. I've heard people complain about the interface, esp. when it comes to gas switching. But then again, setting %O2 with only one button (both Puck and Veo) can be a pain too.

I have the Puck. It does its job. The one button control is beginning to get annoying and I can't find a bungee mount for it. But other than that I like it

Find a "starter" computer that can also be used in gauge mode.

I just got the new Aqualung i300 and absolutely love it! Easy to read and simple to use. Not air integrated, but it is NITROX compatible. Free mode, dive mode, and gauge mode with audible and visual alarms. Just a great computer all around :)

I bought a Veo 180 last yr as a back up, the main one is a 18yrs old Aladin.
No problem whatsoever, nitrox , gauge mode, change of battery etc etc. But it is a relatively old model. The one button control is a bit annoying but got used to it.
My brother has been diving with a Sunnto Gecko for 10yrs and he has encountered no problem also. So I would have thought Sunnto Zoop is another one worths consideration.
I won't waste any money on AI.

My first computer was an Aeris XR-2 (programmable for nitrox, the XR1 is not I don't believe). It's been a great computer and I still use it occasionally. I've also used the VEO180 also and never had a problem with it either.

I was in your fins around a year ago, and was looking for a starter computer. I did some research here on scubaboard and other sites on the net. I had recently been to Bonaire and to the Philippines, and in both places they lent or rented me Suunto Zoop computers. There are a lot of large display Suunto computers (Gecko, Zoop, Vyper, Cobra) out there, and most shops are, at least, familiar with them. And, there are a lot of used Suuntos for sale. As Suunto has recently upgraded from a 3 to 4 button system, I suspect many retailers will be heavily discounting their old stock. Get one of those. I picked up a used Vyper. Works fine. I think one of those Suuntos would make a great backup computer as well when you upgrade to an air integrated computer or a Perdix down the line.

Back
Top Bottom