Which Wrist Computer To Start Out With

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I decided to go with the Mares Puck Pro - it is easy to read, has a great backlight, can be used with Nitrox - the only drawback is that i will a have to wear my compass on my other wrist until I upgrade at christmas. ---They even sent me a 2mm shorty wetsuit as a promo gift. cant beat that.

The only suggestion I have is: Buy something reliable. Honestly I would get something that can also be set in 'gauge mode' so that when/if you get another computer you can use this one as a timer backup or a computer backup.

I bought a Shearwater Perdix as my primary. My Mares Puck is now my backup but I was disappointed in the gauge mode. While it displayed depth, bottom time, and ascent rate it has no independent timer for timing deco or safety stops. What a bummer.

well it is kind of a learning in progress for me. plus it was one heck of a deal. 119.00 and sent me a 2mm shorty with it. too.

well it is kind of a learning in progress for me. plus it was one heck of a deal. 119.00 and sent me a 2mm shorty with it. too.

That was pretty much how I chose mine, too: nice discount.

Rumour has it, RGBM-based computers like longer/slow ascents from safety stops (my Leonardo seems to start counting at some point above no-limit depth rather than at fixed 5 or 3 metres) and long surface intervals. My guess is Puck Pro will act similarly and if you stick to those you shouldn't ever hit the "scary conservative" NDLs we keep hearing about here on SB.

I bought a Shearwater Perdix as my primary. My Mares Puck is now my backup ...

Puck Pro was my first computer and it served me well for the limited number of dives I used it for. It is now backup to my new Perdix which just arrived a few days ago. Can't wait to try it out next week.

Well I decided to go with the Mares Puck Pro - it is easy to read, has a great backlight, can be used with Nitrox...

Puck Pro was my first and the reasoning was similar to yours: it has all that is necessary, it is inexpensive (I wouldn't call it "cheap") and it would be a great backup as I decide the direction I'm going and even whether I want to keep diving (I do.) I did a few Nitrox dives with it too, so there were really no problems with functionality of the Puck Pro.

I have just purchased a Perdix as the best (subjective, of course) non-air integrated computer. The decision to upgrade was after I did my AOW and realized that I really want/need a computer with proper LCD screen *and* that I don't want (at this time) an air integrated computer. Going forward, the only change I can envision is that I warm up to air integrated computers, at which time Puck Pro would be relegated to a loaner.

I plan on passing this down to my son once i get a fully integrated one. he will love to have it.

Before I jump into a fully integrated computer I am considerdering one of these 3 and would like some feedback:

Aeris XR-1 NX Nitrox Wrist Top Scuba Dive Diving Computer
Mares Puck Wrist Computer
Oceanic Veo 180 Air/Nitrox Wrist Dive Computer

they do not have the transmitter that hooks to the tank -- so exctally how does it read what you have left in your tank and such. Do you program it with what you have in your tank air wise?

Any information would be helpful,
I have always dove with tranditional gauges and now I am waiting to upgrade and would love some input.
Thanks

I love my zook!! Simple, easy to read and use... For me, it works - but I'm not a tech diver either....

Back
Top Bottom