Whiskey Wreck 5/30/2006 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn:
I have a hand drawn map to this wreck, but it was made in 1986 and I believe alot of the landmarks have either been rebuilt or wiped out. I searched for it a few times last year but I believe it was covered by sand(like the Whiskey post Ivan, up till about 3ish months ago). I was in Down Under earlier this week getting a fill and heard someone dove the paddlewheeler(3rd hand info), so it may be time to go wreck hunting again.

Welcome to ScubaBoard Tom.

I was looking for aerial imagery of the area last night, Google's and Terraserver's maps are not detailed enough to see the shadows underwater, but I came across this site of photos after Ivan

This one shows a smudge near where the Whiskey Wreck is
http://alt.ngs.noaa.gov/ivan/PHOTOS/26322878.jpg

I'm looking for similar evidence in other aerial photos. Anybody know a small-plane pilot?

Interestingly, I found REALLY old photos like this one
http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/aerials/counties/baldwin/Baldwin_Gulf_Shores_West_1960.html
but they showed nothing more Gulfside. Bayside shows a couple of interesting things.

tom wicker:
One was Pleasure Island it went through a couple of owners the last few years it was open. My favorite was South Bound it has been closed for about five or six years now. What made it so much fun was the road trips a group would just get together on a weekend and takeoff driving you might end up in the Keys, Texas, or anywhere. All that was invested was a little gas money and eats. They had one of the friendliest staff you would ever meet

I used to dive with the Easterlings. They even let me crash on their couch when I was a dive bum.

SuPrBuGmAn:
I have a hand drawn map to this wreck, but it was made in 1986 and I believe alot of the landmarks have either been rebuilt or wiped out. I searched for it a few times last year but I believe it was covered by sand(like the Whiskey post Ivan, up till about 3ish months ago). I was in Down Under earlier this week getting a fill and heard someone dove the paddlewheeler(3rd hand info), so it may be time to go wreck hunting again.

Welcome to ScubaBoard Tom.

I'll be in town all week, if you want to do some searching!

tom wicker:
I’m kinda lost at this time both dive shops I hung out with now over the years has pulled up roots and the old dive buddies have gotten away from diving I’m working on my new Son-in-law but boy dose here have a fear of sharks maybe to much to chance.

Tom

Look what I found on Archive.org, from June 21, 2000 archive of PIDC.net

CONGRATULATIONS

Congratulations are in order for Mike McDuffie, Janie Irby, and Steve Irby, , our newest PADI Open Water Diver. Thomas Wicker is our newest PADI Advanced Open Water Diver. Kelly and Dana, way to go, ladies! Ya'll are over the hump! Let's get finished soon. I commend you all on the fine job you have done, and I look forward to continuing you diving education in the future. June has many future divers in store, and you can join them, too. Please click on DIVE TRAINING to learn more about PADI certification programs and to complete a training request form.

paulwall:
Look what I found on Archive.org, from June 21, 2000 archive of PIDC.net

CONGRATULATIONS

Congratulations are in order for Mike McDuffie, Janie Irby, and Steve Irby, , our newest PADI Open Water Diver. Thomas Wicker is our newest PADI Advanced Open Water Diver. Kelly and Dana, way to go, ladies! Ya'll are over the hump! Let's get finished soon. I commend you all on the fine job you have done, and I look forward to continuing you diving education in the future. June has many future divers in store, and you can join them, too. Please click on DIVE TRAINING to learn more about PADI certification programs and to complete a training request form.
That sure put a smile on my face thanks

Back
Top Bottom