Whites Fusion SLT/SiTech cuff ring modification step-by-with pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They still install it the same way. It's not so much where it is installed like your pictures suggest. It's more how they install it. The heat press machine they use to put that seam tape on is the culprit. Even if they install it where you did, same problem. It is their heat press machine and the 600 degree temp that does that :wink:

Thanks, that is interesting.

I had a look at my suit and it is built the same as yours was ... And I've been having trouble getting my wrists through - looks like it's time to start a new project.

Would you mind answering a few detail questions?

1) The DRIS dry adhesive tape you used - was it the 'strips'? (2 @ 14.5"x1")

2) The DRIS Site say: "
Does not adhere to Neoprene, Trilam, or any other clothe material without an extra step. You would need a base layer of Mcnett Seal Cement completely covering the bonding location(suit side). Let the base layer fully dry, then the tape will adhere to that Urethane based base layer you now have on your suit."
Did you have to do this extra step, or does the tape stick to the Fusion 'as-is'??

3) How did you decide to install the velcro?

Thanks!!

I had a look at my suit and it is built the same as yours was ... And I've been having trouble getting my wrists through - looks like it's time to start a new project.

Would you mind answering a few detail questions?

1) The DRIS dry adhesive tape you used - was it the 'strips'? (2 @ 14.5"x1")

2) The DRIS Site say: "
Does not adhere to Neoprene, Trilam, or any other clothe material without an extra step. You would need a base layer of Mcnett Seal Cement completely covering the bonding location(suit side). Let the base layer fully dry, then the tape will adhere to that Urethane based base layer you now have on your suit."
Did you have to do this extra step, or does the tape stick to the Fusion 'as-is'??

3) How did you decide to install the velcro?

Thanks!!

1: I used a sheet that I had previously purchased for a neck seal and just cut strips out of that. but yes the (2 @ 14.5"x1") are what you want.

2: No other prep needed for the Fusion material. If you were trying to install the tape to the outside of the suit I believe you would need something but on the method I show in my post you are attaching the tape to the inside material.

3: I ended up using WoodWeld contact cement to attach the Velcro. If you are already placing an order with DRIS I would just add some of this to the order DRIS Dive Gear Drysuit Glue | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

If you have anymore questions just ask, I will be happy to help out.

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2013 at 07:48 AM ----------

I didn't take pictures of the Velcro install but this is what I did. First I cut two new strips of Velcro to the proper lengths. Then I cut four pieces of the fuzzy side of the velcro and stapled them to a scrap piece of wood so I could stick the Velcro to the board while I was applying the glue. I tried to attach masking tape to the suit so the glue line would have a nice edge but the tape would not stick to the material so what I did was to use chalk to mark the suit material so I knew where to apply the glue. Now I applied three coats of the contact cement to the suit and the Velcro waiting for the glue to dry between coats. After the third coat was dry I started to install the Velcro to the suit rolling it as I went around.

HA! It is one of the few times I did take a picture was installing the Velcro. Sorry for the bad photo as it was shot with my iPhone, but I did clean it up some in FSviewer. I wound up using a contact adhesive myself too. For the Velcro I have about 10 yards of 1.5" Velcro so I cut it in half and used that. The blue tape did not stick very well and I am sure some glue seeped under it, but that is okay by me as it is not a visible area. I used it mostly for a glue line which Andy accomplished with chalk. You can see I took one of the cheesy Harbor Freight paint brushes and cut it down. Often I will cut the width down too. Pull gently on the hairs to remove any loose ones. I only used two coats of glue letting it dry between them, then once tacky I attached the Velcro to the suit. That was the easy part of the project. I found the skin now fits VERY tight and it was hard to install. Passing a small screwdriver under it helped to move the skin into place.

Attachments

• Velcro Install.jpg
    Velcro Install.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 533
What A Great Job! Thanks for Sharing.

Before View attachment 145020View attachment 145021

After View attachment 145022View attachment 145023

The suit is much easier to don and the undergarments slide right into the cuffs, also the cuffs sit right where I think they should sit (on me at least). If you have a better method, advice or just think that I'm a buffoon for doing this to my suit pleas let me know.

Wow! It's a great great job well done! I can't think of any better idea to modify your previous drysuit.

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2013 at 10:02 PM ----------

This is fascinating . . . I just need to screw up my courage (and get some heat tape).

I have just installed the Si Tech Cuff Rings on my friend's drysuit using PB-300 glue which would work fine as the dry heat tape.

I have just installed the Si Tech Cuff Rings on my friend's drysuit using PB-300 glue which would work fine as the dry heat tape.
From my experience, I would recommend running a bead of Aquaseal around the inside edge. Contact adhesive won't always create a 100% seal, and yes I too use PB-300.

Hi - I'm going to do this mod next week. After this weekends dive I had bruises on both hands from the rings pressing into them.

What else can I use to clean the rings prior to heat tape? The local hardware has Mek but I don't really need such a large can of it. I saw a small can of PVC cleaner/primer that had MEK but it also had acetone. Could I just use alcohol?

Have you used any silicon for lube? If so I would use MEK or Acetone to prep. Although I would use MEK either way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom