Who dives what now?

Who dives what now?

• I dive conventional style and configuration always.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I dive DIR style and configuration always.

Votes: 19 13.8%
  • I dive conventional style but I've adopted some things from DIR.

Votes: 30 21.7%
  • I dive DIR-like primarily but still do some things conventionally.

Votes: 19 13.8%
  • Depends on the dive.

Votes: 15 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuberd once bubbled...
Right now I'm still diving conventionally. Though I think when I have some time and money I am going to look into DIR and see what it can do for me.

The www.gue.com website sells the DIR-F book for $24. It contains many though provoking sections and is well worth getting, even if you don't think you will take any GUE courses or go the backplate and wings route.

Giving PADI equal time, I also highly recommend acquiring and reading the PADI Divemaster Manual. Lots of good stuff on dive management and control. Very good material for anyone who is around a lot of other divers, such as on a dive boat.

Charlie

leadweight once bubbled...
I dive underwater, not DIR.

Gear does not a diver make. (OK, I realize things have to be done differently outside of the recreational arena, but there are different interpretations of the best gear to use.)

After 14 years as an engineer I can tell you that there is more than one solution to every problem. When it comes to diving anyone who thinks they have found the ONE best way for everything is wrong. Proving what you do works doesn't prove that everything else doesn't.
There is a lot of judging of other divers going around here. Should anyone be doing that?

Divers, especially those doing extreme dives must have confidence in their methods. Many are by nature very opinionated people. "type A personalities"? The fighting will always be part of it.

What am I supposed to do?

I am a type G personality.

G=gonzo=-)

Some of the tech courses will teach a number of DIR principals but in general it is a far cry from true DIR.

For the time being, I am using the principals that I was thought in my OW through DM training.

Ari

Charlie99 once bubbled...

The www.gue.com website sells the DIR-F book for $24. It contains many though provoking sections and is well worth getting, even if you don't think you will take any GUE courses or go the backplate and wings route.
Charlie

Thanks Charlie, I'm going to pick one up

I picked up the DIR-F book and was disapointed. Pretty much everything in the book as far as information you can find on this board. I also gave the book to my buddy who spends time on the board, he to was disapointed. If you really want it PM me...

I stay with the fundamentals I've been taught. I don't believe there is only one way to dive and only one type of gear to dive in. I keep myself informed of current dive practices and changes in the industry and make adjustments where needed.

you can be my buddy anytime... uh, that is if you are ever in Florida.

I have two sets of dive gear... for single tanks, I dive a back inflate. For doubles, I dive a modified Hogarthian rig. Just like a fisherman matches the hatch to the catch, I match my gear to the type of diving I will be doing.

I have said this before, but I feel that it merits repeating. Very few accidents are caused by inadequate gear. MOST accidents are caused by inadequate divers. Unfortunately, we spend more money on gear than on training. Does anyone else see the irony here? You can be an incredibly safe diver in either BP/wings or in traditional. The converse is also true. You can be statistic in either one as well.

This is the "anti-skid brake” mentality. They were to reduce the number and severity of accidents. Insurance companies even gave discounts to those who bought them. Neither of their claims worked out. Anti-skid brakes will not make a distracted driver pay attention. Neither will a particular gear configuration make you a safe diver... in fact the converse can be true if you are lulled into complacency because of your "superior gear choice". Think about it… Safety through education. (Which sounds suspiciously like the NAUI motto –go figure!)

diving a BP/W due to the fact that I am more confident in the water and better able to control my buoyancy. I also find many of the principals of DIR applicable to what I would like to learn and practice in my diving.

I agree with what many of the others have stated: that safety and good buddy systems are top priority in diving, not the gear or the configuration. We each adopt systems that work best for us, and fit our needs. No one 'style' is best for everyone.

I think that we learn so much from each other, and I am happy to dive with anyone (as long as they are safe! LOL). You never know what kind of conversations you'll get into, and ideas you will exchange.

Not to mention sharing some great snacks and drinks afterwards! LOL :)

Well I think that Lead, Charlie and NetDoc have said it all. It's all about the diver first and what type of diving next. That will dictate the equipment, not the other way around. What ever style you dive you must be a proficient diver formost.

I dive conventional always because I am not interested in Tec or Deco diving (at this time).

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom