Who dives what now?

Who dives what now?

• I dive conventional style and configuration always.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I dive DIR style and configuration always.

Votes: 19 13.8%
  • I dive conventional style but I've adopted some things from DIR.

Votes: 30 21.7%
  • I dive DIR-like primarily but still do some things conventionally.

Votes: 19 13.8%
  • Depends on the dive.

Votes: 15 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

DIR style with DIR config.

Thanks to the info on scubaboard this is the single best thing I have done in my short diving history. My buoyancy has improved, my trim has improved, my manoeuvrability in the water has improved.

Due to all this I am having more FUN with every dive. I am no longer struggling against bad skills and fighting poorly designed gear.

DIR fundamentals was the best course ever and I am looking forward to Tech1 in a few months were I hope to improve even more!

Thanks

WL

I am gradualy moving towards DIR.
I use a back plate and wing, no crotch strap
I use a 7 ft primary hose with backup on necklace.
I use Volo fins (with SS spring straps)
I use an air integrated computer/compass, on a retractor

Mike D
:blfish:

As many of the dives me and my dive team mates do is in hazardous conditions, blackwater, strong currents, and at times, heavy entanglement hazards at the bottom. Much of our style of diving involves staying close to the bottom depending on the size of the object we're searching for (i.e. cars, bodies, guns). And diving by braille for the smaller objects.
So, in lieu of our job duties, many of us have adopted a conventional style with some DIR rules. This works best for what we do. Whether I dive wet or dry, my configuration stay relatively the same.

Dive hard,
AquaDog

mddolson once bubbled...
Mike D

Why no crotch strap? I was under the impression that the strap helps keep the entire rig from moving around or riding up at all. I'm just curious as to why you have chosen to omit it.

Brian

mddolson once bubbled...
I use a 7 ft primary hose with backup on necklace.
I use Volo fins (with SS spring straps)
I use an air integrated computer/compass, on a retractor

I have recently switched to a B/P and wing (with crotch strap).
Use bungeed backup.
Signed up for DIR F at the end of this month, hence will reconfigure to long hose on primary soon.
Plan to ditch my leg-strapped Rambo knife for a smaller one mounted on the waist strap.
I will continue to research and try each piece of DIR gear and make decisions as to whether I'll adopt them. For instance, I like the backup light choices and placement, but I'm not sure on the canister light yet. I don't do caves or significant wreck penetrations, but I don't want a dangly light either.

=-)

bwerb bubbled: "Why no crotch strap? I was under the impression that the strap helps keep the entire rig from moving around or riding up at all. I'm just curious as to why you have chosen to omit it. Brian"

It's real simple, I don't need it.
I'm a big guy, barrel chested, when properly adjusted my backplate and wing stays put.
I don't scooter, so I have have no need for a crotch strap.
I'm a dry suit diver, and wear 25 lbs of lead in a soft weight belt.
A crotch strap would just be in the way.

Mike D

Unless you bought your gear off the shelf, and never changed a thing for comfort or convience, can you say you ONLY dive one way? Do you carry the same gear on a photo dive, hunting scallops, and a wreck dive?

I dive with what I like. Personal preference and unique diving style, configuration, etc, diving is supposed to be FUN!

If you're getting wet, blowing bubbles, doing it safely, doing it often and HAVING FUN, then, you're TRULY DOING IT RIGHT.

-Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom