Who doesnt like Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shortly after being flipped off by a New Yorker who was upset I beeped the horn at her after she's sat still when a light went green for 15 seconds or longer, I really have to stress the snowbord/traffic aspects of Florida; and the traffic is WAY worse in Miami than it is here(Tampa/St Pete area), and this area has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY more annoying than usual just in the last two weeks.

I mentioned traffic problems and one of the causes for it above. Along with this is the annoying need of many south Florida drivers to hit the horns to let people know that they don't like the fact that they have been waiting in traffic interminably. I have many times been in a situations in which I am perhaps the 5th or 6th car back in line, waiting for a light to change. The light changes, and the first car in line promptly starts to go, followed promptly by the second car. The rest of the line has not had a chance to move yet. At about that time, some imbecile about 3 cars behind me will hit the horn. I am not sure what it accomplishes, since everyone else has been waiting for a long time and is eager to go as soon as the car in front of them moves. It happens a lot. I have driven in a lot of states, and I have never seen it like this anywhere else.

That is a trait from the New York yankees who have moved down here. After spending a year and a half working in the NYC area I came to realize that there is no reason to watch for the red light to change. In the NYC area the person behind you will blow the horn as soon as the light changes. I guess they got on I-95 and jus drove south till it ended.

DrBill.. we're just not as tough as you.. :wink:

I am not sure what it accomplishes

In this case I was the second car at the light.
Generally speaking though it means "you need to look up from texting; it's time to move".
Of course they will continue texting while they are driving erratically at varying speeds often in multiple lanes; unless they are going REALLY slowly, which means they are firmly in the fast lane with occasional visits to the shoulder.

---------- Post added October 29th, 2013 at 11:57 AM ----------

That is a trait from the New York yankees who have moved down here. After spending a year and a half working in the NYC area I came to realize that there is no reason to watch for the red light to change. In the NYC area the person behind you will blow the horn as soon as the light changes. I guess they got on I-95 and jus drove south till it ended.

You know that might explain why she didn't want to move.
Until there was a horn she had no idea the light was green because she wasn't watching.
I will have to remember to be less patient with drivers with New York plates until they have sufficiently acclimatized. :D

In this case I was the second car at the light.
Generally speaking though it means "you need to look up from texting; it's time to move".
Of course they will continue texting while they are driving erratically at varying speeds often in multiple lanes; unless they are going REALLY slowly, which means they are firmly in the fast lane with occasional visits to the shoulder.

Perhaps in the situation you described, the horn was necessary. I have rarely seen that. In many cases I see on a regular basis, the horn is hit as soon as the light changes, often defying our common notions of minimum reaction time. In other cases, it happens even though every car in line is moving as quickly as possible, with the horn coming from the 7th or 8th car in line, Of course the car in front has not moved--that car has to wait for the car in front to move, and when you are that far back in line, you can't move within the first second after the light changes.

To all the Florida residents:

Is there anyone who moved to FL from other areas of USA and wished they did not move? I love Florida because it seems to have such diversity in terms of diving, from reefs, to wrecks and caves etc. I was hoping to move there (someday) but I was talking to a former colleague of mine who moved near Miami area and does not like it. She is not a diver so all these things do not matter to her but I was wondering if there is anyone who dives, moved to Florida and then thought "What did I just do???."

Anyone ...???

I am the opposite. I was born and rised in Hollywood Hills. Moved when I was 22 and lived in Hawaii for serveral years, Texas, California and got stationed at MacDill for 2 years (hated it when I was there) and then moved again. When I got out of the service, I moved to central fla (Port St Lucie) and HATED it. Ended up moving up North and been a yankee for the past 15 years. I go down to Fla (WPB) to visit relatives and dive and I look forward to leaving after the first week. I dont like the crowds, diversity, traffic, drugs, homeless and I miss the change of seasons.

I have been the first person in line at a light. the light changes, I move my foot from the brake to gas and midway a horn blows. Really? I mean, it's been what? 1 second??

I am the opposite. I was born and rised in Hollywood Hills. Moved when I was 22 and lived in Hawaii for serveral years, Texas, California and got stationed at MacDill for 2 years (hated it when I was there) and then moved again. When I got out of the service, I moved to central fla (Port St Lucie) and HATED it. Ended up moving up North and been a yankee for the past 15 years. I go down to Fla (WPB) to visit relatives and dive and I look forward to leaving after the first week. I dont like the crowds, diversity, traffic, drugs, homeless and I miss the change of seasons.

I was in the pizzle and moved to Stuart. Much better!

i think those that are blowing the horn so quickly are the NE transplants hmm?? But i will admit the timing on the lights is usually messed up and shortening the time for the yellow light after putting in the red light cameras....

you can dive florida year round in anything from a 7 Mil wetsuit and below depending on the water temp and your comfort zone. THERE IS NO SNOW. lots to do out of the water - tons of bar, nightclubs, restaurants, museums, parks, golf courses, etc.. I like to watch the bellydancers myself, but i'm biased on that being married to one. I like not freezing for months on end or sliding on black ice at 55mph. I'll take shorts, tshirt, and sandals over winter clothes any day.

DrBill.. we're just not as tough as you.. :wink:

Takes a truly sick mind, to be doin' that kinda stuff ... I'd be dead in seconds!!

---------- Post added October 29th, 2013 at 04:21 PM ----------

I have been the first person in line at a light. the light changes, I move my foot from the brake to gas and midway a horn blows. Really? I mean, it's been what? 1 second??

See, Yellow between Red and Green(we have that in Germany) would help ... At least a remote chance, that the IPhone Zombies, senior citizens and so on get the memo:wink: My solution, back in my NYC days, not so long ago?? Someone blows the horn behind me, I'm staying put, foot on the brake ... I've made people back up and pull by me, simultaneously flipping the bird and blowing them a kiss, as they go past ... Surprisingly, some of them actually get upset ...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom