• Yes, due to failed electronics

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • Yes, due to loss of gas in the rebreather

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Yes, for another reason not listed

Votes: 50 38.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I contributed to the poll, but do not believe everyone will be honest about what their reasons were for having to bail out. In my case, I had to BO twice because of stupid mistakes after jumping, meaning I left the mouthpiece open. One time happened soon after SCR training, pure inexperience. The other more than 10 years later on CCR, as a result of being in a rush for a night dive after being distracted by my wife’s pre-dive issues with her flashlight.

I would bet that most BOs are like mine and result from operator error, much more often than environmental conditions or gear failure…

Or leaving the DSV partly closed/open. No bubbles, just a slight leak that won't clear.

Wet breathe == check that the DSV is fully open.

I am curious as to who has had to bailout to open circuit and why?
Only time I have HAD to bailout to OC for real (i.e. not for training purposes, etc.) was a few years ago when I was demo diving a Liberty SM unit. The owner of the unit who was giving me the demo, and with me on the dive, had apparently already run 1 too many demos that day without having refilled the tiny onboard O2 supply. I'd say this was his fault, but let's just say it was my fault for trusting him and not checking myself before the dive. So what happened was we did a 20 or 30 minute dive to 40 or 50 feet depth, and as we ascended the PPO2 kept dropping even as I kept hitting the O2 MAV. When the PPO2 hit 0.17 and I still had not figured out what the problem was, I bailed out to OC. Since at this point we were at 10 feet, I could have just done a CESA at that point. If I had realized what the real issue was, I could have just done a dil flush to bring it back up to 0.21 or more, but since I was in doubt, I bailed out.

I bailed out on new year this year with roughly 35 hours on my unit. Not exactly sure how it had happened but my sensor wiring harness was brittle and damaged when I assembled the carriage. I lost 2 sensors right at the end of my dive when starting ascent.

Not yet. Not... Yet.

20 hrs into ccr life though lol

Only practice......he said with 35 hours on the loop :cool: Going for my CCR deco certification dives this weekend, who knows what will happen :callme:

Yes, and ironically enough, I had to BO for real during a training dive.

I was training on a Choptima, using an ExtendAir cartridge, and we were at 90' for dive #2 of a 2-dive day. On the first dive, we did a BO drill, and in retrospect, I realize that I must've failed to close the DSV properly.

On the second dive, the instructor ran us through did our drills before releasing us for a few minutes of playtime. I headed over to a rock formation, went head-down for a moment to check it out, and rolled to my left while recovering into normal attitude. My scrubber cartridge had been marinating for an hour-plus, and this maneuver funneled the funky water straight into the inhale counterlung.

I breathed in, heard a glug, and bammo...caustic cocktail. Bailout time.

Only time I have HAD to bailout to OC for real (i.e. not for training purposes, etc.) was a few years ago when I was demo diving a Liberty SM unit. The owner of the unit who was giving me the demo, and with me on the dive, had apparently already run 1 too many demos that day without having refilled the tiny onboard O2 supply. I'd say this was his fault, but let's just say it was my fault for trusting him and not checking myself before the dive. So what happened was we did a 20 or 30 minute dive to 40 or 50 feet depth, and as we ascended the PPO2 kept dropping even as I kept hitting the O2 MAV. When the PPO2 hit 0.17 and I still had not figured out what the problem was, I bailed out to OC. Since at this point we were at 10 feet, I could have just done a CESA at that point. If I had realized what the real issue was, I could have just done a dil flush to bring it back up to 0.21 or more, but since I was in doubt, I bailed out.
My friend who teaches CCR frequently would say you should always hit the dil button in that situation rather than the O-2 add button, which I thought sounded counterintuitive at first but it makes sense when you think about it.

My friend who teaches CCR frequently would say you should always hit the dil button in that situation rather than the O-2 add button, which I thought sounded counterintuitive at first but it makes sense when you think about it.
I would second that. At 30ft I have no problem doing an O2 flush when ascending since you're offgasing but if at first you don't succeed, try the dil button which will at least get you back to something in the 0.3-0.6 range....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom