Who hates their White Fusion Dry Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pre 2022 suits come with the Si-Tech Neck-Tite ring system, and 2022+ model years come with "SLT Flexneck" which my understanding is the Si-Tech Quick Neck ring system (their 2nd generation neck ring system which is more flexible than the the Neck-Tite ring which is their 1st generation neck ring system).

SLT (Seal Lock Technology) is just Aqualung's parlance for Si-Tech's neck and wrist ring systems. Waterproof had their own parlance for the same using the acronym ISS (Integrated Silicone Seal) system.

-Z

In post #177 I mentioned that it was my understanding that Aqualung switched to Si-Tech's 2nd generation neck ring system, the Quick Neck....after further scrutiny of Aqualung's product offerings, it seems that the "SLT Flexneck" is Aqualung's parlance for Si-Tech's 3rd generation neck ring system, the ORUST.

I was also wrong about the following:
The picture on the website shows the suit with blue stiching....I might be wrong but I don't think the 2016 model year (first year for the AirCore suits) came with blue stitching, I think it came as black with black stiching or black with white stiching.

I have gone back and double checked this. Aqualung was offering blue stitching as an option on the Fusion Bullet skins that came on DryCore suits as well AirCore suits. So this option/feature should not be used as a means to date a suit.

-Z

So washing the salt water out of a Fusion suit.

I figure hang it from the feet and go at it with the hose. Do you wash out the inside also between the drycore and outer skin or will the skin allow enough fresh water through he material to do the job? And will the skin breathe enough to allow the space between the inner and outer to dry? Maybe put a fan on it. The inner core/outer skin thing has me scratching my head on how to deal with this.

I would also like to pressure test the drycore. Removing the skin completely involves removing the inflate and exhaust valves. How much of a chore is this? Would it be better to just pressure test with the skin on with a sensitive pressure gauge and just watch for a drop in pressure? Can't really bubble test it with the skin on. Maybe I should just dive it and see what happens. I see no obvious reasons for it to be leaking.

On the plus side, the XXL/XXXL fits me good. Down side is that it's not real easy to get on. It's not a solo operation. I'm 47 in the chest and the size chart goes to 49. I can barely squeeze my shoulders through the zipper hole. Once on though, it fit's like it was made for me.

I figure hang it from the feet and go at it with the hose.
Yep. Spray inside and out, then let it dry. Cleaning the inside was a less frequent occurrence for me, and I'd usually turn it inside out.
Maybe I should just dive it and see what happens. I see no obvious reasons for it to be leaking.
That's probably the simplest route. Removing the skin is not difficult, but can be annoying to get aligned correctly. Removing the valves is not difficult either, and you can use the opportunity to check them.
I can barely squeeze my shoulders through the zipper hole. Once on though, it fit's like it was made for me.
You might find a methodology that works better. It took me a few times before I figured how to get in with ease.

Reactions: Zef
So washing the salt water out of a Fusion suit.

I figure hang it from the feet and go at it with the hose. Do you wash out the inside also between the drycore and outer skin or will the skin allow enough fresh water through he material to do the job? And will the skin breathe enough to allow the space between the inner and outer to dry? Maybe put a fan on it. The inner core/outer skin thing has me scratching my head on how to deal with this.

I would also like to pressure test the drycore. Removing the skin completely involves removing the inflate and exhaust valves. How much of a chore is this? Would it be better to just pressure test with the skin on with a sensitive pressure gauge and just watch for a drop in pressure? Can't really bubble test it with the skin on. Maybe I should just dive it and see what happens. I see no obvious reasons for it to be leaking.

On the plus side, the XXL/XXXL fits me good. Down side is that it's not real easy to get on. It's not a solo operation. I'm 47 in the chest and the size chart goes to 49. I can barely squeeze my shoulders through the zipper hole. Once on though, it fit's like it was made for me.

You are overthinking this.

The skin is not an impermeable membrane. You can easily get a stream of water from a hose between the skin and the drycore to adequately clean salt water from the suit, but the best way to clean it is to put the suit on and jump into a body of fresh water. If hung, or laid out and flipped repeatedly until dry, the suit will dry with out the need to remove the skin. As mentioned in a previous post, aiming a fan at the suit will facilitate it drying quicker.

If you need to wash the inside of your suit, then just carefully turn it inside out, spray down with hose/shower head and then hang/layout to dry before turning right-side out.

I would only hang the suit by the feet if you have boots connected (fusion boots or otherwise).

Valve removal/replacement is not a big deal, if you want to pressure test your suit's core....I block the neck of mine with a mooring/boat bumper ball and suspend it using the same, I use my drygloves to block the wrist seals. It would be prudent to test your suit before diving it in open water during winter unless you have confidence that the suit does not leak. If you are going to dive it instead of blocking and inflating then I recommend diving it in a pool or waiting until the weather warms up, so if your suit leaks you don't have a self-created disaster.

Here is a video from DRIS regarding putting on the suit:

-Z

I probably am overthinking this. I tend to do that.

If I hang it via a mooring ball in the neck hole, plug the wrist seals and inflate, do you just watch for a pressure drop or spray the suit and watch for bubbles?

The problem I have with donning is that my shoulder width is slightly wider than the zipper opening. They always show skinny guys in the videos to make it look easy. :) They should make a video of a big guy getting into this suit. It takes a little contortion, but wasn't a huge problem once I called in some backup.

I probably am overthinking this. I tend to do that.

If I hang it via a mooring ball in the neck hole, plug the wrist seals and inflate, do you just watch for a pressure drop or spray the suit and watch for bubbles?

Both?....sometimes a leak is caused by a very minute hole in the suit. I had a hecho-en-Mexico AirCore and the only symptom I had was that one October day my feet were damp after each dive despite putting on fresh socks between dives. I stripped the skin off my suit, blocked the openings, suspended the suit, and inflated....I put the feet of the suit in a bucket of water and.....Nothing!...,I sprayed the feet with soapy water and.....Nothing!.....I twisted the ankles of the suite to increase the amount of pressure in the feet of the suit and found a very fine, almost imperceptible, stream of bubbles coming from the heal seems of each foot.

Others have found that the puncture in their suit acts as a one way valve that only bubbles if the suit is turned inside-out, inflated, and sprayed down.

Others have found a good deal of success by inspecting their suit in a darkened room while using a flashlight inside the suit to detect light emanating from minute puncture holes.

If you make soapy solution to spray your suit, I recommend using much more soap than you initially expect, and I would also add a little bit of glycerin to the solution as it makes the bubbles more substantial.

If this was me, I would seek out a swimming pool or wade out in calm water while wearing the suit, and splash around while inflating/deflating the suit multiple times to see if the suit leaks. If nothing, then I would dive it but I would ensure that I have plenty of extra warm dry clothes and warm place to hurry into should the suit be compromised.

The problem I have with donning is that my shoulder width is slightly wider than the zipper opening. They always show skinny guys in the videos to make it look easy. :) They should make a video of a big guy getting into this suit. It takes a little contortion, but wasn't a huge problem once I called in some backup.

Buddy diving at its finest! :)

-Z

i have it before the fusion is a toy , unreliable to the point if yoy=u want a tech course from me i wont take you on it in that pos suit get real and buy good LIFE SUPPORT gear

i have it before the fusion is a toy , unreliable to the point if yoy=u want a tech course from me i wont take you on it in that pos suit get real and buy good LIFE SUPPORT gear

Well, it's a good thing you are not the only tech instructor on this planet.

Opinions......Everyone has one.

-Z

So found a pair of NOS fusion boots in my size online, ordered them and wondered why they were not shipping, so I called. Turns out their system showed 2 pair but they couldn't find them. Then, today I'm hanging out at the LDS trying to find something I can't live without and I walked by a display that looked like all kids shoes. All this time I thought that section of the store was the kids section. They are Poseidon and they look like converse sneakers except they have bungee cord laces and made of neoprene, so I asked. Turns out they have all sizes, so that's the plan. I wear an 11 street shoe so with the attached suit sock + some heavy wool socks I figure 12 or 13.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom