Who is concerned about OW diver training?

Please choose both your cert level AND your level of participation on ScubaBoard.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Several recent threads have made me wonder who is actually concerned about the quality of training OW divers are getting. This thread is not about debating which agency is better or worse, or how much training someone should get.

It's strictly about finding out:

1) What level of diver reads these threads on new diver training, even if they don't participate.

2) If you read, but don't participate, why not?

Edit: This is a multiple choice poll allowing you to state your cert levels and your participation level in the discussion.

Last edited:
Several recent threads have made me wonder who is actually concerned about the quality of training OW divers are getting. This thread is not about debating which agency is better or worse, or how much training someone should get.

It's strictly about finding out:

1) What level of diver reads these threads on new diver training, even if they don't participate.

2) If you read, but don't participate, why not?

New
Advanced
Tech
Instructor

I read follow along but dont participate
I read and participate
I don't bother reading.
I'm just read to watch the debate

I read some of them but don't participate because it almost always consists of the same tiring arguments consisting mostly of:
Back in my day we did X, Y, and Z
Our community has so uber we haven't had any deaths in XYZ years
PADI sucks
SSI sucks
You all are strokes
My non PADI/SSI organization is so much better

and on and on

As for my level /shrug I'm no longer a brand new diver and I'm not an old salt. I am who I am.

I read some of them but don't participate because it almost always consists of the same tiring arguments consisting mostly of:
Back in my day we did X, Y, and Z
Our community has so uber we haven't had any deaths in XYZ years
PADI sucks
SSI sucks
You all are strokes
My non PADI/SSI organization is so much better

and on and on

As for my level /shrug I'm no longer a brand new diver and I'm not an old salt. I am who I am.

That's informative. Why bother in the first place.

What's the difference between these two choices?

I read and follow along but don't participate
I read but don't participate

As far as I can tell, there's no option for those who participate. Of course we can see who participates by reading the thread.

For those with no reading comprehension.

As far as I can tell, there's no option for those who participate. Of course we can see who participates by reading the thread.

The first was aimed at people who follow the entire debate, but dont engage in it.

The second was those who read a few pages and lost interest.

It was poorly worded, let me revise it.

CD it seems like this should be two polls. I'm AOW and I participate and follow along. Which choice to I take? I could choose 2 and 9.

CD it seems like this should be two polls. I'm AOW and I participate and follow along. Which choice to I take? I could choose 2 and 9.

It's multiple choice, so you can choose both your cert level and your participation level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom