Who knows Apeks stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's something I'd really like to try once but it's not a realistic option for much of the diving I do.

R..

Also the ATX have one 1/2" LP port, which does nothing except require a different hose or an adaptor. Or you can plug and ignore it.

Currently in the US, Apeks sells an ATX-40 package that includes the DS4 first stage. The DS4 has all 3/8" IP ports. So if buying new (which is what the OP is doing) there is no other differences between an ATX and an XTX than what I noted. If buying used then the pre-XTX versions of the DST, UST, FST, and FSR do have the one 1/2" IP primary port. I am not sure the DS4 ever had a 1/2" IP port.

---------- Post added May 21st, 2014 at 04:11 PM ----------

That said, I'm not decided yet if I'm going to sell two and buy two new regs or just one new one. What I want to do is re-kit the legend for my daughter (rebuild and new hoses) but my wife still needs more massage to warm up to that idea. She doesn't understand how good the legend is and she's still on a mind-set that if something is new then it must be better.

Tell her based on that logic you are trading her in on an 18 year-old. Newer is better, right? :wink:

Tell her based on that logic you are trading her in on an 18 year-old. Newer is better, right? :wink:

She would dare me to find one... LOL

And 18 is a little young for me, to say the least, but I get the picture.

R..

Well, that is an upside, and you should take advantage by getting a 'new' doublehose regulator, like the argonaut from vintagedoublehose.com, or a rebuilt phoenix royal aquamaster. This idea is appealing for three reasons:

Your posts are generally pretty good, but this one is down right silly. How is he supposed to dive doubles with two first stages and an isolator valve with a double-hose? We get that you like the Argonaut (as do I) but it is not for everyone.

The point is that you seized on a supposed "design flaw" that isn't one if you actually know what you're doing when servicing them, even just reading the Apeks service manual would give you that insight.

I actually read even further

View attachment TB34_XTX_Torque.pdf

So we all should reduce the torque of the heat exchanger from 45 to 27 in-lbs ( from 5Nm to 3Nm) ' to avoid causing damage to the 2nd stage case'!

With 45 in-lbs ( 5Nm) torque damaging the 2nd stage case??!!!

Whow, that's impressive.........

Still I think that APEKS regulators are good regulators, but I think it's not easy to defend this design aspect. They should change it for the Legend design for example.:)

Aqualung has been selling Apeks regulators since 2000 or 2001 so any AL dealer should know how to service it. If they don't then I would sincerely doubt their ability to service an Aqualung regulator.

---------- Post added May 20th, 2014 at 07:25 PM ----------

What kind of glue do you use?

Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never had a problem when I rebuild them.
Later,
John

After reading this I took face plates off my Apeks and sure enough barrels were twisted. I'm kinda disappointed seems like sloppy design. On my "cheap" HOGs the barrel fits into slots and does not twist when torqued. Now I know this occurs, thanks for the heads up, I'll pay special attention in the future. I wonder if Apeks are aware of this? Perhaps they are but don't see it as an issue, it certainly isn't mentioned in the Factory service manual, seems like it should be.

HOG 1 - Apeks 0

Last edited:
Strange coincidence, I serviced yesterday a 2013 XTX 200 APEKS and could see immediately that this discussed design is now much stronger than the ATX - TX ( and I think the until 2012 XTX )designs.

Almost impossible to twist the valve spindle with the lever when torquing the heat exchanger. There is very little play, but completely acceptable for me.

Looks like that APEKS has finally addressed the issue.

How nice.:)

Strange coincidence, I serviced yesterday a 2013 XTX 200 APEKS and could see immediately that this discussed design is now much stronger than the ATX - TX ( and I think the until 2012 XTX )designs.

Almost impossible to twist the valve spindle with the lever when torquing the heat exchanger. There is very little play, but completely acceptable for me.

Looks like that APEKS has finally addressed the issue.

How nice.:)

Yes, quite the coincidence. Good to know, one of my sets is a 2010 XTX. I'll look into some newer ones. Cheers.

Well, I'd like to thank everyone for their input. So far.

I ordered 2 DS4/XTX40 regs for my twins. I decided to go for the XTX 2nd stage in part because of the input about the servicing issue and partly because I can get them for about the same price as the ATX and I like the look of them better.

The legend will be overhauled and all of the hoses replaced to make a reg for using on a single tank (teaching/vacations and for the diving my daughter does this coming year).

For now I *think* I'm going to rekit one of the titans to use on a stage just because that will save me &#8364;150,- at the end of the day as compared to buying a 3rd new Apeks. At least that's what I think today. I still have some headroom in this budget though so it won't take much for me to say <bleep> it and just buy three new ones. The main thing stopping me right now is that I don't think I can get squat online for 3 aging 1st stages unless I find some argon bottles cheap and sell the regs together with the bottles.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom