Who's using 100% O2 for deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He has very good points, ....
Maybe.

Much of it boils down to a belief that the primary reason you are using it is because you lack buoyancy skill or have a bad SAC rate. I never saw that with the divers I dived with who used it. They looked fine to me on both counts.

He is also big on the supposed benefits of the O2 window, a theory that is pretty much discredited now. Both GUE and UTD have backed away from it.

As i said, I prefer O2, but I don't see it as a big deal.

Maybe.

Much of it boils down to a belief that the primary reason you are using it is because you lack buoyancy skill or have a bad SAC rate. I never saw that with the divers I dived with who used it. They looked fine to me on both counts.

He is also big on the supposed benefits of the O2 window, a theory that is pretty much discredited now. Both GUE and UTD have backed away from it.

As i said, I prefer O2, but I don't see it as a big deal.

John,
I agree with you. I am a big believer in O2 as a final deco gas as well. But thats just my preference. I could not fathom where his ranting anger came from. A lot of the good points he made (I think) got lost in the rant.

While I'm a new to tec diving we used 100% in my most recent training. Well we used both 50 and 100 for the class and they stated that in most cases of regular tec diving they do they only use 100%.

Just the new guy :)

As my Advanced Nitrox instructor put it last weekend: Any O2 rich gas is good for deco. He is a firm proponent of using the richest gas available for deco, even if it was only a lowly EANx36. He was also very clear on our understanding the complete dive, and not slavishly conforming to any single recommendation.

He did make the point that the key proponent of 100% over 80% was a cave diver, and that swells of 1m or more don't often occur in caves, so 80% was perhaps the better gas for decoing in the Atlantic, whereas 100% would be OK in the Mediterranean. But, even if we might want 100%, it might not be available, and we might have to go with 80% from somewhere that did pp blending, or even as low as 50% from a membrane system if that was what was available - what he called the "complete dive".

I was most impressed with an instructor that taught his pupils to think, rather than to slavishly follow the established protocol, after many years of being annoyed at the French system, this course has the potential to be the best one I have done.

Jon (currently enjoying his French Nitrox Confirmée course)

PS he also warned of the dangers of internet boards, and their propensity to remove a divers ability to think for themselves, analyse the dive they are going to do, and the local conditions.....................

As my Advanced Nitrox instructor put it last weekend: Any O2 rich gas is good for deco. He is a firm proponent of using the richest gas available for deco, even if it was only a lowly EANx36. He was also very clear on our understanding the complete dive, and not slavishly conforming to any single recommendation.

He did make the point that the key proponent of 100% over 80% was a cave diver, and that swells of 1m or more don't often occur in caves, so 80% was perhaps the better gas for decoing in the Atlantic, whereas 100% would be OK in the Mediterranean. But, even if we might want 100%, it might not be available, and we might have to go with 80% from somewhere that did pp blending, or even as low as 50% from a membrane system if that was what was available - what he called the "complete dive".

I was most impressed with an instructor that taught his pupils to think, rather than to slavishly follow the established protocol, after many years of being annoyed at the French system, this course has the potential to be the best one I have done.

Jon (currently enjoying his French Nitrox Confirmée course)

PS he also warned of the dangers of internet boards, and their propensity to remove a divers ability to think for themselves, analyse the dive they are going to do, and the local conditions.....................

yes. you should be very careful when you learn to tech dive from the internet

Luke: I'll be careful.
Dr. Evazan: You'll be dead!

It's not as if the good Dr Evazen wasn't responsible for a few deaths of his own with his "creative surgery" - and didn't he escape his own death using his special reanimation serum after the bounty hunter got him with a laser shot?

Jon

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom