Why are divers so tolerent ?

How should divers react to unreformable stupid behaviour ?

• Just ignore it, its their problem

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Let a Divemaster or Instructor deal with it

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Tell 'em what you think politely but dont discourage them from diving

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • Tell 'em flat out what you think and suggest they should give up diving

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver once bubbled...
First off, "getting down" on someone ... even to the point of a fistfight ... is no way to convince anyone to change their behavior.

In any case, approaching a person in a confrontational manner because you see them doing something you don't like is not productive ... that only compounds the problem. If you cannot tell someone in a constructive, non-confrontational manner that they're doing something dangerous, then you're better off not speaking at all.

It just doesn't always fit the situation.

Sometimes, the drunk guy just won't hand over his car keys.

I'm more concerned with preventing an imminent accident that changing anyone's behavior.

One time, I was walking to the transom to dive The Playground, off West Palm (135fsw) when I noticed the nitrox label on the tank in front of me read 38%. I asked the guy what his MOD was, and he had no idea what I was talking about. He was obviously diving nitrox without a cert.

What, exactly, would you do in a situation like that?

Custer once bubbled...

For my trouble, I was banned from the boat for life. :)

Don't worry about it. I know a nice little boat in NC where you won't have to worry about throwing anything overboard.

Custer once bubbled...

One time, I was walking to the transom to dive The Playground, off West Palm (135fsw) when I noticed the nitrox label on the tank in front of me read 38%. I asked the guy what his MOD was, and he had no idea what I was talking about. He was obviously diving nitrox without a cert.

I would probably say something like this "I hear that The convulsions brought on by oxygen toxicity can feel good, But are you sure thats how you want to commit suicide?"

DeepSeaFox once bubbled...
Had an interesting discussion while on last holiday with a number of DM/Instructor level divers.

Basicly comparing the safety culture in Diving to Airsports. Not just light aircraft but Paragliding, Parachuting, Microlights and Hanggliding.

Without knowing the stats I suspect that the safety records are somewhat similar.

(lots snipped)

One interesting cultural difference stands out - Tolerence of Idiots.

Have you been to the rec.scuba newsgroup

DeepSeaFox once bubbled...
... and I suspect that has more to do with PADI's 5yr growth forcast than best practice.

You just couldn't make an argument without mentioning PADI?

I suspect just about every other agency has a growth forcast.

Knavey once bubbled...

You just couldn't make an argument without mentioning PADI?

I suspect just about every other agency has a growth forcast.

Didnt mean to single out PADI, same applies to NAUI etc. They are a company and only doing what a for-profit company is meant to do. One cant expect a pig to be anything other than a pig.

The question should be asked though "why are they a for profit company?".

I will say something if I see someone doing something that is really stupid. You are doing the person in question a disservice by not pointing out a potential safety concern. I don't really care what anyone else on the boat does or does not do, as long as it does not effect me. However, if they want to dive with me, they need to fix the problem.

In general, we need to be LESS tolerant when it comes to diving. People are doing a lot of crazy stuff and are never told that what they are doing isn't particularly safe. There are some things people do in diving that should simply not be tolerated under any circumstance. We can't let people make up the rules as they go along, they have to be accountable.

Custer once bubbled...

I'm more concerned with preventing an imminent accident that changing anyone's behavior.

I was in VA beach getting my tanks filled for the next day. The shop was pp blending all their nitrox that day so there was a line at the fill station. One guy picked up his tanks and started to walk out. The guy filling the tanks asked if he wanted to borrow their meter and he replied, "no, I don't feel like checking them." He got quite a tongue lashing form the five or six people hanging around but still didn't want to check is tanks.

He know the risks. He made is own choice.

I probably would have said something loud enough that one of the mates or DMs overheard and let them take if from there. I've never seen a crew that was willing to let someone hurt themselves diving off their boat.

What did you do? Cut his air hose and bleed the tank? :mean:

Cornfed

cornfed once bubbled...

I probably would have said something loud enough that one of the mates or DMs overheard and let them take if from there. I've never seen a crew that was willing to let someone hurt themselves diving off their boat.

What did you do? Cut his air hose and bleed the tank? :mean:

Cornfed

I turned him over to the mate, after physically preventing him from leaving the boat.

The mate put him on a spare 21% tank.

I tried polite reasoning with the drunk guy. The captain sided with him, as a paying customer. The drunk guy was just telling me how he'd dive whenever, and however, he wanted, when I picked up his Tank/BC and chucked it over the side and said "not today".

Custer once bubbled...

I turned him over to the mate, after physically preventing him from leaving the boat.

The mate put him on a spare 21% tank.

I tried polite reasoning with the drunk guy. The captain sided with him, as a paying customer. The drunk guy was just telling me how he'd dive whenever, and however, he wanted, when I picked up his Tank/BC and chucked it over the side and said "not today".

LOL

You sure do find some f**ked up boats!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom