Why backward?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but,:confused::confused::confused: if it is forward; then why bother to roll !!! :hmmm:

Faceplanting isn't as much fun in scuba gear as bellysmackers were as a kid :D
Ber :lilbunny:

Why do scuba divers always fall backwards out of a boat?

You tend to lose your mask less often and end up with smaller knots on the back of your head........

To keep from pushing the lenses of their masks through their eyeballs.

:eyecrazy: lol, would make for some interesting contact lenses. :eyemouth:

Most diving here is RIB based and as a result entries are back roll.

I guess for every 1 giant stride entry i do in a year i do about 50 back rolls. Depends where you are and what boats are suited to the conditions.

Rough seas and so on i much prefer a RIB to a hard boat and RIBs generally need back rolls as you cant stand up and leap over the tubes.

..............you cant stand up and leap over the tubes.

At least not with any grace. Maybe with one of the forward face plant flops they were talking about earlier.

I didn't say it can't be done off some boats because it can but you can't do it off all boats. Standing up on the edge of an inflatable and doing a forward roll would be an interesting entry to watch :popcorn: I'm willing to watch if you're game to try it though :eyebrow:

It is possible with a narrow enough beam to stand up and hurl yourself forward over the opposite tube.

It is possible with a narrow enough beam to stand up and hurl yourself forward over the opposite tube.

Now THAT I'd love to watch :D

I don't think I'd try it myself, my luck a rogue wave would come along right as I launched and throw the opposite tube right into my gut...or my face :11:

Another advantage to the back roll is that it puts less stress on the lower back if you have back problems.

Back
Top Bottom