Why do so many poorly skilled divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

59.9% really surprises me. Even at the loose definition of active being set at one dive in the last year, I don't buy it. On the other hand, 40% is about the rate for transitioning Try SCUBA to OW class. By definition, the 60% doing Try Scuba only are active divers?

I have met a few, but I've met more who were simply posers. 60%? That doesn't seem right.

You are forgetting the concept that many people started diving before there were classes.

... I have met a few, but I've met more who were simply posers. 60%? That doesn't seem right.
Seems high to me too.

59.9% really surprises me. Even at the loose definition of active being set at one dive in the last year, I don't buy it. On the other hand, 40% is about the rate for transitioning Try SCUBA to OW class. By definition, the 60% doing Try Scuba only are active divers?

I have met a few, but I've met more who were simply posers. 60%? That doesn't seem right.

Posers are easily spotted! They're the ones with HEAVY CITIZEN DIVE WATCHES! :D

I liken DM training to boot camp. Boot camp prepares a person for becoming a soldier. It doesn't make them an excellent soldier, but rather gives them the tools to become one. Same with the DM course--it doesn't make you an excellent diver but instead gives you the tools to become one.

Whether a person decides to use those tools to become a better diver, or just sit on his C-card and brag about being a DM while wallowing in his own silt, is up to each diver.

Some people believe a diver should have excellent dive skills before becoming a DM. I don't share that viewpoint. As an instructor, I want to be able to mold them into responsible divers while the clay is still fresh, rather than break off any bad habits they've picked up during their quest to become 'better divers' before becoming DMs.

That's because good dive skills are just a part of being a good DM. DMs not only learn how to help other divers, but also become responsible for a large part of their well-being during a dive. That can be nerve-racking, even for experienced DMs and instructors. So if new DMs are focused on the safety of their charges and make that their top priority, I'm willing to overlook a few sloppy dive skills, which I can later work with them to improve.

Finally, whoever is the instructor that works with sloppy DMs shares some responsibility in them not having better skills. The instructor should be demanding better from the DMs, because their performance reflects on the instructor's. If the instructors aren't willing to help coach their DMs to improve their sloppy skills, that's a very broken group that I'd advise other divers to stay away from.

I liken DM training to boot camp. Boot camp prepares a person for becoming a soldier. It doesn't make them an excellent soldier, but rather gives them the tools to become one. Same with the DM course--it doesn't make you an excellent diver but instead gives you the tools to become one.

Whether a person decides to use those tools to become a better diver, or just sit on his C-card and brag about being a DM while wallowing in his own silt, is up to each diver.

Some people believe a diver should have excellent dive skills before becoming a DM. I don't share that viewpoint. As an instructor, I want to be able to mold them into responsible divers while the clay is still fresh, rather than break off any bad habits they've picked up during their quest to become 'better divers' before becoming DMs.

That's because good dive skills are just a part of being a good DM. DMs not only learn how to help other divers, but also become responsible for a large part of their well-being during a dive. That can be nerve-racking, even for experienced DMs and instructors. So if new DMs are focused on the safety of their charges and make that their top priority, I'm willing to overlook a few sloppy dive skills, which I can later work with them to improve.

Finally, whoever is the instructor that works with sloppy DMs shares some responsibility in them not having better skills. The instructor should be demanding better from the DMs, because their performance reflects on the instructor's. If the instructors aren't willing to help coach their DMs to improve their sloppy skills, that's a very broken group that I'd advise other divers to stay away from.

It's a bad analogy in my opinion. DM training may be like a boot camp for becoming an instructor (teaching) but they are already divers. There are no dive skills taught at the DM level and above.

You are forgetting the concept that many people started diving before there were classes.

No, I'm not forgetting. When I think of what I consider as active, I think of doing at least a few charters a year, dives during vacations and sites outside my local area. Active divers take advantage of nitrox.

Most of the people diving prior to formal certification eventually certified, as it became more difficult to get a charter, get fills(especially nitrox) or obtain any other service that might result in litigation over liability.

I see and talk to a lot of these people when working the LDS booth. You can usually spot them from the way they eyeball the gear. Most of them miss diving and still consider themselves divers, but haven't been wet in 30 years.

Active divers are certified. It would be a PITA otherwise.

Active divers are certified. It would be a PITA otherwise.

Actually dealing with the PITA of dive shops is why I am completely self contained with a compressor and boat. Frankly I would quit diving rather than having to depend on on shops and charters.

Having taken the YMCA scuba course in 1970 (at the time the only other available course was instructor) and after having read some of what training is like today I would have to say my 1970 course was equal to what OW, AOW and rescue is today and maybe a little more.

I'm in the final stages of my DM certification. I only have my "Rescue Assessment" to demo. on Monday. I tried to read all the posts in here, but time would not allow. As I'm reading these at work, of course.

Here is my nickels worth...I entered the DM course with 50 dives, mostly in Monterey CA with some dives in the Caribbean. I now have 80 dives under my BCD. And I feel I have an enormous amount to learn yet. My skills are not where I want them to be at this point. However, the DM class has improved my skills tremendously. And I feel I 'm ready to take on the challenge and responsibility to assist others in learning our sport.

Having said that, I must agree with some of the concerns stated in here about inexperienced divers in the DM program. I have a guy in my program who should go back to AOW and rescue again. Our instructor was lead to believe, from the diver himself, his skill level merited consideration to enter the program. In trying to keep this short...it wasn't until weeks went by, after several class room session, we discovered his lack of ability in the pool. Not just in the pool but, in how he geared up and could not hold a buoyant MOMENT, let alone control.

Our instructor discovered his dive log was under the 20 dives needed and the majority of his dives were in warm tropical water. Keep in mind we are diving in Monterey...not quite the tropics.

Not to belabor the subject, there are those out there working as DM's that should not be. I had the same experience while I was a ski instructor. There are the vast majority of great DM's who provide a value to the sport, the industry, the instructors, and those wanting to take up our passion. And then there are those who hurt us by not being self aware of their lack of skills and how the present themselves.

None-the-less, I plan to elevate my skill level and experiences by continuing my education in our sport, move into the IDC program, and do my best the represent the sport in a professional manner.

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom