Why do we call them computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid:
But GPS could tell you how far you are from the green and the hole.
Makes club selection a little easier. :wink:
A computer would pull all that info in and via an algorithm suggest what club to use for you - what you do with that data is your own business :wink:

3dent:
They do different things, so they are different, one gives you a direct output according to a direct input - ie its showing the input in a way you can understand, the other computes this data through an algorithm to give you additional info and you can use this data to work out an action. So they are different and as such should be called different names.

In general, gauges measure or take a direct reading of a "point in time" (I know some gauges store your deepest depth). Gauges also typically react to some sort of force such as pressure or temperature. Computers typically store some series of data and helps make informed decisions based upon that data. i.e. it provides information based on a series of events. If you think about how your desktop works, it is event driven. It does things based on programs and/or data stored in the computer and reacts based on those events, though obviously a computer does not store every event, just the ones it is told to.

3dent:
Actually, it's not so clear. A depth gauge has a pressure sensor, not a depth sensor. To display depth it has to convert pressure to depth. That makes it an input/process/output device, or, by your definition, a computer. See what I'm getting at?

Well.....I assumed you would want to split that hair but I actually don't care enough about computers to make much of an effort.

What I will say, however, is that a depth sensor only "translates" information from digital to human readable form. A computer, "interprets" information and adds meaning to it. I hope you can see the difference. The technology is similar but the intent isn't.

Once again, if you push your computer over the NDL, what will it tell you?

If you push your depth gauge over the NDL what will it tell you?

R..

darylm74:
In general, gauges measure or take a direct reading of a "point in time" (I know some gauges store your deepest depth). Gauges also typically react to some sort of force such as pressure or temperature. Computers typically store some series of data and helps make informed decisions based upon that data. i.e. it provides information based on a series of events.

That's a good basic definition. I like it. But there are still plenty of gray areas, aren't there? I'm thinking of my GPS computer again...

darylm74:
If you think about how your desktop works, it is event driven. It does things based on programs and/or data stored in the computer and reacts based on those events, though obviously a computer does not store every event, just the ones it is told to.

Not too keen on this one. Digital depth gauges are also event driven (timer, change of pressure), and also store the data in order to display it. Gray, again.

I know I'm being nit-picky. Just trying to get some mental exercise on a dull day.

I didn't answer this one the first time, because I didn't see the point, but since you asked twice...

Diver0001:
Once again, if you push your computer over the NDL, what will it tell you?

It will tell me I'm over the NDL

Diver0001:
If you push your depth gauge over the NDL what will it tell you?
R..

Nothing.

Still don't see the point. There are lots of computers out there that know nothing about NDL. (Although I hope there aren't any dive computers in this category!)

3dent:
I didn't answer this one the first time, because I didn't see the point, but since you asked twice...

It will tell me I'm over the NDL

No, it does more..... It will tell you how to ascend. That's interpretation of information and that's the most important characteristic of a computer.

It will tell your your depth, which is translating information without processing it.

And there you have your differnce.

R..

They're called computers because there's nothing better to call them. A gauge is a gauge, even if it does have a processor. I could use a Cray, but it will be my gauge if all it does is tell me where I am and how long I've been there.

If it's going to tell me how long I have left and let me set my gas mix, it's a computer. It gives very different information from a gauge, so it's not a gauge.

Call it something besides "computer" if you want, but it's still different from a gauge.

3dent:
I'm thinking of my GPS computer again...
Does you GPS tell you useful interpreted data such as:
Time/distance to a destination/waypoint;
Calories used;
Other useful info except where you are at this point in time (which is its guage function) and where you have been (data recorder function) - if so its a computer as it is interpreting/processing/telling you things beyond its basic input.

3dent:
Still don't see the point. There are lots of computers out there that know nothing about NDL. (Although I hope there aren't any dive computers in this category!)
Those who have models and algorithms in them about NDL's, are able to be used at depth, can measure depth and time, and are capable of using that input along with the algorithm are dive computers by their very nature. I wouldnt expect to do word processing on a dive of GPS computer as that is not what they have been programmed to do - just like you cant do everything with a desktop (can you take it UW - if not, should it be called a computer as it doesnt have the answers to everything :wink: )
3dent:
I know I'm being nit-picky. Just trying to get some mental exercise on a dull day.
I would wonder if your mental exercise might be better served surfing the fishing channel, they appreciate a good troll there, which i think this is turning into - do you know Novadiver or Lawman per chance?

Why do we call a nose a nose? What are you going to do? Blow your eyes. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom