Why Do We Need Insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 years ago a client of mine ordered pizza from Dominoes. The kid delivering the pizza knocked on the door and then took one step up the 2 stairs to enter the doorway. He slipped, grabbed the railing and cut his hand on the railing. An ambulance was called and the kid received one stitch to close the wound. We paid the kid through Medical Payments to Others. We covered his lost day of work, the ambulance ride, stitches, even the dropped pizza. The kid sued my client for $75k AND WON. Now, here's the funny part. The kid was at work. Workers Comp covered all of this as well, everything except the dropped pizza. The kid was made whole, twice. That's the bs country we live in.
Not an attorney and I know very little about insurance except to pay the premiums of whatever insurance I happen to have (btw, if I add up all my insurance expenses, medical insurance, life insurance, car insurance, and home insurance, it far exceeds any other household bills I have, including my mortgage, but I digress). So Dominoes was involved? A major corporation? Your client is the victim? Did your client counter sue Dominoes for not training the kid to deliver pizza without injuring himself? Did your client sue Dominoes for emotional distress of one of their delivery people injuring themselves at his home? Did you client counter sue the delivery guy for emotional distress? If the delivery guy collected workers comp why didn't a judge set aside the claim? You get the idea. It cuts both ways, if they can sue you, you can sue them right back. Did your insurance company decide to pay the claim because it was cheaper than litigation? The calculus of these claims changes rapidly when (in this case) the delivery person finds out he might have to pay money instead of collect money.

In Croatia as a diver, or a dive operator I'm required to have a number of insurance policies. A general dive insurance, even if I'm fully covered with the mandatory national medical insurance , boat insurance that only covers the boat in case I kill a swimmer (injuries don't count, guess I better make sure he's dead) and if I'm teaching professional diving insurance that only covers my student if he dies of a medical emergency while not wearing dive equipment (no cpr for him I guess)

I blame you people and the insane society you built over litigations.

Not much is going to protect you on slippery concrete...
Better shoes would. Even crocks with traction would.

Not an attorney and I know very little about insurance except to pay the premiums of whatever insurance I happen to have (btw, if I add up all my insurance expenses, medical insurance, life insurance, car insurance, and home insurance, it far exceeds any other household bills I have, including my mortgage, but I digress). So Dominoes was involved? A major corporation? Your client is the victim? Did your client counter sue Dominoes for not training the kid to deliver pizza without injuring himself? Did your client sue Dominoes for emotional distress of one of their delivery people injuring themselves at his home? Did you client counter sue the delivery guy for emotional distress? If the delivery guy collected workers comp why didn't a judge set aside the claim? You get the idea. It cuts both ways, if they can sue you, you can sue them right back. Did your insurance company decide to pay the claim because it was cheaper than litigation? The calculus of these claims changes rapidly when (in this case) the delivery person finds out he might have to pay money instead of collect money.
Back then, I was part of a company that was pro-litigation. We didn't get bullied on BS. But, almost always, like 99.9% of the time, judgement comes against the big bad insurance companies with all of the money.

Google GEICO's loss last month where a girl sued for millions because she got an STD in a car insured by GEICO. AND WON!!!

Back then, I was part of a company that was pro-litigation. We didn't get bullied on BS. But, almost always, like 99.9% of the time, judgement comes against the big bad insurance companies with all of the money.

Google GEICO's loss last month where a girl sued for millions because she got an STD in a car insured by GEICO. AND WON!!!
Wow, that's the world we live in today. Of course, no responsibility taken on her part.

Was it the girl that was stranded on a deserted road and was assisted by the guy in a white van? Because I think I saw the video on the internet of that once…

I had a car stolen while I was scuba diving out of the country. My dad died and left me his SUV. I'm a truck guy so I decided to sell it. Whoever stole it managed to get two parking tickets. The judge found me responsible for the tickets even though I could prove I was in Bermuda while the tickets were received. The judge ruled against me because the car hadn't been reported stolen at the time. My question to the judge was, "How was I supposed to know the car had been stolen when I was in Bermuda at the time of the theft?"

I guess the question I should be asking is, "Why isn't there a common sense test that judges and juries need to pass in order to affect the outcome of a case?"

What % of these frivolous lawsuits result in megamillion payputs? According to defendant’s insurance companies, all of them. OTOH plaintiff’s attorneys will tell you hardly any. Only a mstter of time before someone mentions McDs and hot coffee.

No one mentions how much safer products are today. Europeans love to bitch about how litigious the US is, all the while enjoying those same benefits.

No one mentions how much safer products are today. Europeans love to bitch about how litigious the US is, all the while enjoying those same benefits.
Here we are much less litigious for the simple fact that any civil cause takes 10 to 20 years to conclude, and at the end the legal expenses on both sides are much larger than the reimbursement obtained.
So it invariantly becomes a loose-loose case... No one wins...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom