Why Do We Need Insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah. What was I thinking?
Just a friendly comment. Of course you know. I just wanted to include my waiver :D
I've been replying to medical posts, too. And we know it's dangerous :oops:

Turns out climbing guides pay insurance based upon the number of days they guide per year. $250 for 50 days. $1000 for 365 days.

Waivers are about as valuable as the paper they're printed upon -- and, typically, don't prevent other aggrieved family members from suing.

Years ago, while working a boat, there was a diver who suffered a heart attack, after a single morning dive and had to be medevacked some 220 kilometers. Never mind that the guy was already an eggplant just from the effort of suiting up; or that he was the size of a Buick, who required more than 16 kilos for a weight belt, his family sued both the charter and the helicopter crew who just barely saved his bacon . . .

Waivers are about as valuable as the paper they're printed upon -- and, typically, don't prevent aggrieved family members from suing.

Years ago, while working a boat, there was a diver who suffered a heart attack, after a single dive and was finally medevacked. Never mind that the guy was already purple after just suiting up; or that he was the size of a Buick (plenty of custom suits on those boats, back then), his family sued both the charter and the helicopter crew who eventually rescued him . . .
Again, in that case the solution is a counter suit. Sue the guys family/estate for endangering everybody on the boat because he was unfit to dive.

USPA membership includes liability insurance for skydiving instructors" USPA Changes Insurance Agency

USPA Changes Insurance Agency​

For decades, USPA has provided members with third-party liability insurance. Most skydivers and DZOs recognize USPA’s member insurance as a major benefit, whether jumping at drop zones or making exhibition and demonstration jumps. As a member, if you’re jumping at an established DZ, you’re automatically covered as long as you abide by USPA’s Basic Safety Requirements and the Federal Aviation Regulations. If you are making an exhibition jump, you need to contact USPA’s insurance agent, complete a demo jump application, select the level of coverage and pay an additional premium.​

Google GEICO's loss last month where a girl sued for millions because she got an STD in a car insured by GEICO. AND WON!!!
You crack me up. GEICO/Berkshire Hathaway/Warren Buffet as victims? Given you own an insurance company it is unrealistic, and perhaps even unreasonable to expect any objectivity from you on this subject.

How much money did GEICO screw people out of last month by not paying a rightful claim or only paying partially on a claim? The girl or her parents hired an attorney to pursue her best interest. Just the same as GEICO hires attorneys to pursue its best interest. I guess the "girls" attorney was better than the GEICO attorneys, go figure.

I agree the United States is over litigious. Who is responsible though? The attorneys for the plaintiffs suing insurance for failure to pay claims? Or is it the attorneys who represent insurance companies so that they don't have to pay claims? Plenty of bad faith to spread around on both sides. Putting the blame all on one side or the other is silly.

Google GEICO's loss last month where a girl sued for millions because she got an STD in a car insured by GEICO. AND WON!!!
It turns out this really isn't what happened in that case: Why GEICO's $5.2 million STD claim isn't wrapped up yet

The issue at large in the headline hitting case, however, was not necessarily that the insurer had been found to be on the hook for the woman’s unfortunate encounter. Rather, the crux of this case lay in arbitration rules, and insurers in the state may have less to fear from these looking forwards. This is according to Michael Young, partner at Missouri law firm Reichardt Noce & Young.​
“If you look at the appellate court’s opinion, it’s actually a highly technical opinion that doesn’t necessarily address insurance coverage issues at all and doesn’t have a whole thing that says GEICO has to pay,” Young told Insurance Business.​
“What the case really is, is an example of how bodily injury and wrongful death cases that had coverage issues in them from a liability perspective were handled under the 2017 version of our statutes.”​
As I understand it, this relates to a quirk in Missouri law that has since been changed. The article ends with the opinion that even under the old understanding of the rules, it is not likely GEICO would have to pay.

I just spoke to the woman who designed the insurance products for the USPA. The RSTC is actually in a position to do what the USPA does for skydiving instructors and drop zones. They just don't do it. But she thinks our insurance is actually a pretty good deal for individual liability. Since the agencies are still gaining dive pros and the current system is working, the agencies haven't sought alternative products.

It turns out this really isn't what happened in that case: Why GEICO's $5.2 million STD claim isn't wrapped up yet

The issue at large in the headline hitting case, however, was not necessarily that the insurer had been found to be on the hook for the woman’s unfortunate encounter. Rather, the crux of this case lay in arbitration rules, and insurers in the state may have less to fear from these looking forwards. This is according to Michael Young, partner at Missouri law firm Reichardt Noce & Young.​
“If you look at the appellate court’s opinion, it’s actually a highly technical opinion that doesn’t necessarily address insurance coverage issues at all and doesn’t have a whole thing that says GEICO has to pay,” Young told Insurance Business.​
“What the case really is, is an example of how bodily injury and wrongful death cases that had coverage issues in them from a liability perspective were handled under the 2017 version of our statutes.”​
As I understand it, this relates to a quirk in Missouri law that has since been changed. The article ends with the opinion that even under the old understanding of the rules, it is not likely GEICO would have to pay.
Indeed the problem with giving little anecdotal snippets to support a particular argument is that there is always far more to the story.

Indeed the problem with giving little anecdotal snippets to support a particular argument is that there is always far more to the story.
I’ve got no argument. I don’t give a crap what you guys do, lol. As for me and my house, we’ll have insurance.

Do you know what I make off of the average policy? $90 per year. Have insurance, don’t have insurance. If every single person on this thread from now until the end of time bought insurance from me it wouldn’t change my bottom line in any manner I could actually feel or even notice.

Live your life. I’ll live mine.

Back
Top Bottom