Why do women wear earrings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alright all knower of piercings....what is the history of piercing of the nether regions.

You know what, I was just reading that! They totally screw the pooch! They give the history of the clit...not so much the piercing, WTH??

CLITORIS HOOD PIERCING HISTORY

The word Kleitoris was used over 2,500 thousand years ago by the ancient Greeks to describe a part of the female genitals, most probably the Labia Minora or Inner lips of the Vagina. In 1593 at the trial of a woman accused of witchcraft, the inquisitor (a married man) discovered a Clitoris for the first time. When he saw this "little lump of flesh sticking out to the length of half an inch" he decided that it must be the "Devil's Teat". The other inquisitors, likewise astounded, agreed and on this fact the woman was convicted and executed for witchcraft. The word "Clitoris" first appeared in the English language in 1615, it was used in an early anatomy book to describe a small, sensitive organ located underneath the upper apex of the Labia Minora.

How the hell is that the history of the piercing???

Alright, I'll bite: "Because they're ugly and smelly".

Apologies: I'm new here, and it's a deliberately offensive joke. But if someone provides the feed line, it's rude not to take it..

You said it, not me.

But yeah.

ok, where did the belly button piercing start?

Ok last one! You have to go click the link for any others

THE HISTORY OF NAVEL PIERCING

Navel piercing is a modern invention and has never been recorded in primitive cultures; however the navel has long been recognised as an erogenous zone, because of the difference between men's and women's stomachs. Women's stomachs differ from men's in that they are more rounded in the lower part, are longer than men's, have a greater distance between the navel and genitals, and are more deeply recessed than men's; these features are often exaggerated by artists to make women appear more feminine in paintings.

The invention of the Bikini in 1953 caused a big stir because the navel was seen as being sexually provocative because of it's similarity to the female genitals. The Bikini revolutionised women's lives, along with the liberation of their clothes their lives in general became more liberated. The process was completed when Madonna started the craze for showing of the midriff in the 1980's. The ability to flaunt their sexuality in public gave women more power and confidence in themselves.

"It is easy to pinpoint the moment when body piercing went mainstream. Christy Turlinton came out at a London Fashion show, and in the middle of her navel was a ring! The next day Naomi Campbell showed the world that anything Christy could do, so could she. A gold ring with a small pearl pierced her navel. And then at Isaac Mizrahi's show the two came out together, navels bared and beringed: body piercing as a Supermodel totem" Suzy Menkes The New York Times September 1994
"I have the most perfect belly button - an inny. When I stick my finger in my belly button, I feel a nerve in the centre of my body shoot up my spine" Madonna Time Magazine 1985

"I like it, I think it's fun!" Naomi Campbell. "I always thought it was a pretty feminine thing to do - and you can always take it out" Christy Turlington.
Shortly after Naomi and Christy had their navels pierced no one was surprised when Madonna, Cher and Janet Jackson were seen wearing navel rings. Now anybody can joins the ranks of Celebrities and Supermodels by having their navel pierced.

What about Prince Albert piercings? :popcorn:

Piercings of various body parts are found culturally worldwide.

For example, the ampallang:
Ampallang - BMEzine Encyclopedia
"Historically, this piercing was performed in various Polynesian cultures, specifically the Dayak people of Borneo [...]"

Many others, including the PA (prince albert) are covered here Category:piercings - BMEzine Encyclopedia

If you click on this you just get text. :D Further exploration of the site may get you pics, it's your call, you may be at work.

From the page about PA's (no link due to pics)
"A lot has been written about the history of the Prince Albert piercing, but very little of it is true. The most common story is that it was a so-called "dressing ring" [...]

"Others, most notably Doug Malloy, have suggested that it was worn by divers to hold onto a urine trap" :D

The person credited with starting the modern piercing "movement" is Jim Ward.

Jim Ward (body piercer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
"In 1973, Ward moved to West Hollywood (a gay village of Los Angeles) where he met Doug Malloy and Fakir Musafar. Together these men developed the basic techniques and equipment of modern body piercing. Malloy introduced the use of the autoclave and hypodermic needle; Ward developed the fixed bead ring and internally threaded barbells. With funding from Malloy (derived from his work with the Muzak corporation), Ward began using his home as a private piercing studio in 1975."

Roland Loomis also played a big part in getting the so-called tribal designs and images seen in local tattoo parlors out there through his contribution to BDSM magazine.
Fakir Musafar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Fakir Musafar (born Roland Loomis, August 10, 1930 in Aberdeen, South Dakota) is considered the father of the modern primitive movement.[1] He has experimented on his own body with body modification techniques such as body piercing, tightlacing, scarification, tattooing, and suspension, and has documented, shared and taught others as part of his life's work making him an underground icon in BDSM, kink and fetish communities."

Probably more than you wanted to know:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom