Why do you hate your wireless carrier?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm stuck with Verizon because they're the only ones with coverage where I live, and it's still not that good. But most of my complaints probably apply to any of the carriers.

AT&T.

Not Cingular, though. I liked Cingular. But ever since the switch to AT&T I've gotten nothing but terrible customer service. Every time I have an issue with my phone, either customer service is closed (they keep very strange hours, IMO), I sit on hold for an hour or more, or I feel like I'm talking to a wall that refuses to understand what I'm trying to say to them. Cingular had excellent customer service and that almost made up for the terrible cell service.

Also, the rate of dropped calls has increased since the switch. I've been told that's because they have added additional towers and now I'm more likely to be on an AT&T tower than on a 'partnership' tower, so even if the AT&T tower is farther away my phone will still attach to it instead of the closer, more powerful partnership tower. How much of that is true is debatable. I'd say about one out of 20 calls I make or receive get dropped within the first 2 minutes. Many do not even go through when I dial them. Last week I was having a problem where I could not dial a friend's phone number - got a bizarre tone and wouldn't connect. Only when dialing her cell phone, no other numbers, and she could call me and we could text back and forth without any issue at all. Three days later, the issue mysteriously resolved itself. Anytime I'm driving (which is often, I commute about 90 miles round trip for school three times a week and my bluetooth headset is my best friend, and my husband's family lives about 600 miles away) the call will drop about every 30 to 40 miles. Tech said this was because I'm transferring towers, I question why no other carrier I've used had this problem.

And in that same vein, I hate my Motorola phone. You'd think I'd have learned by now that Motorolas are awful, but I came by my current one for free right around the time my old Motorola was breathing it's last breaths. Between myself and my husband, we went through seven Motorola V-series (started with v400s, ended at last with v557s) within 2 years, only 2 of them were broken through any fault of our own. I had the screens go out on three, he had the flip hinge break once (after about 3 months of use, was deemed a warranty failure), screen go out once, broke one during a car accident (which was actually my phone, that he had with him that night), and dropped one while shaving. Now we're both on Motorola Razrs, the V3i version (which there are no faceplace covers available for that actually fit them - I can only find ones made for the V3c, which are slightly different). My brother gave them to us because they were the free phones when he opened his AT&T account and he finally got his and his wife's phones from his old carrier unlocked and transferred. In the single month he had them, he had one overheat while in his pocket. Mine is always giving me problems. Screen flickering, static, 'white screen of death,' calls not coming through, messages not coming through, etc. My husband has similar problems with his.

We're waiting (im)patiently for the LG Voyager to come down in price and then switching to Verizon.

*steps down from soapbox*

I have Sprint, the phone service itself is fine but the customer service is terrible. I started out with two phones on the family-and-friends style plan, the second phone shipped to me by Sprint was the wrong one and when I sent it back they tried to charge me the full, unsubsidized price for the replacement and $175 early termination fee for the phone I returned at my cost which was their mistake.

My two year Sprint "prison sentence" is up and I'm just waiting for the 3G-capable iPhones to show up to jump ship from Sprint forever. The only downside AFAICT is that AT&T doesn't offer any unlimited texting in any of their plans. :( I may actually have to go back to talking to people. :wink:

The only downside AFAICT is that AT&T doesn't offer any unlimited texting in any of their plans. :( I may actually have to go back to talking to people. :wink:

Not true. I have unlimited texting, but it's an additional cost on the plan ($15/line or $30/family). I think the iPhone plan comes automatically with unlimited texting. I'm looking forward to included texting/pics/etc with Verizon, right now I don't have the ability to send or recieve any pics or videos cause they cost extra even with unlimited texting, so I have them completely disabled since I have a friend who tends to forget I can't receive them and I got charged 50 cents a message.

If it were not for unlimited texting my 3K texts a month would cost a boat load . . .

OHH Picture mail is extra with verizon, I guess that is a good thing w/ Sprints messaging packages . . . . 15 a month unlimited every kind of message conceivable . . .

So besides the above while I was gone and since I got back, I have had my Blackberry replaced twise, both times at no charge to me :) :) :)

So Kudos to Sprint for that :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom