Why isnt there Any Money for Divemasters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
The question of the thread was "Why is there no money for divemasters"? Because they have only achieved the "lawn mower engine repairman" level in the corporate structure of the recreational dive industry.

How great it would be if I were paid at the same rate as a lawn mower repairman! $7 an hour? hat is several times what I make now!

Aquawookie:
Just ran a quick calculation on this, so lets see.

OW cost 500 time 5 days
AOW cost 300 time 3 days
Rescue cost 300 time 5 days
EFR cost 100 time 1 day
50 by 2 tank dives cost 3250 time 50 days (50 times $65)
DM cost 2000 time 14 days
IDC cost 3500 time 21 days
Accomodation and food for 100 days say 10,000
Gear/books etc. purchase say 5000

Total,
Time 100 days - so say 4 to 6 months.
Cost around $25,000.00

OW cost 500 time 5 days You did this for fun
AOW cost 300 time 3 days You wanted this merit badge to further your interest in the fun of diving.
Rescue cost 300 time 5 days This is a good idea to be a safe diver and buddy
EFR cost 100 time 1 day This would count if it wasn't part of Rescue
50 by 2 tank dives cost 3250 time 50 days (50 times $65) You would have done this anyway
DM cost 2000 time 14 days Less time than 1 credit hour in college
IDC cost 3500 time 21 days Less time than 2 credit hours in College
Accomodation and food for 100 days say 10,000 did you count the days you ate food for your Cisco training?
Gear/books etc. purchase say 5000 Most of this you wanted without being an instructor

The point is that you can't compare most of these expences because they were money spent on "leisure" and not on the actual professional training. Compared to my B.S and M.S. degrees my Divecon time and effort was hardly a hiccup. DM and Instructor doesn't require the same work as getting a degree. I have watched many divers see the dive profession as a quicker and funner way to a profession. The truth is that it usually doesn't work out for most divers. I think most of those that continue to teach are the ones that really enjoy it, not because they can make a great living. Yes there are those that do well, but that is not the norm.

After reading the rest of the posts I don't want anyone to think that I only value a college education. I don't think the amount of money spend can equate to the effort involved. I know many people that spent 1000's on promised careers only to find out that their expected income wasn't based on the real market place.

Aquawookie:
OW cost 500 time 5 days
AOW cost 300 time 3 days
Rescue cost 300 time 5 days
EFR cost 100 time 1 day
50 by 2 tank dives cost 3250 time 50 days (50 times $65)
DM cost 2000 time 14 days
IDC cost 3500 time 21 days
Accomodation and food for 100 days say 10,000
Gear/books etc. purchase say 5000

Total,
Time 100 days - so say 4 to 6 months.
Cost around $25,000.00

Are we talking US dollars here? I hate to say it but I think you are way on the high side. $2000 for DM? Your kidding right? Is that seriously the going rate? If so I got a hell of a deal. I paid $500. I agree that its all pricey, but not that much so. I think my OW was only like 250 or 350 as well. I just did some quick math based on what I remimber paying and mine came up to $1550 for all the way to DM with 2 specialties. I cant comment on the cost of dives since I dont hink I've ever actually paid to go on a dive in my life, joys of working at a dive shop and a rescue team.
Granted all of my dive training was done in Curacao about 2 yrs ago, but traditionaly things cost more down there, so I am suprised at those prices. I quess my dive instructor really liked me. Of course he made me work for the diveshop for free too....

I am working in the field of web designing. I'm going through the Dm course you know how hard it is. I believe that I can't live without compressed air or salt water. But after I read your posts actually I hezitating now. Since I can't do both DM and webdesigning together, I don't know if DM will cover my expenses or not. DM will be my full time job. Actually I don't know what to do? Shell I quite DM course or shell I quite my work and go for Diving Career?

gehadoski:
I am working in the field of web designing. I'm going through the Dm course you know how hard it is. I believe that I can't live without compressed air or salt water. But after I read your posts actually I hezitating now. Since I can't do both DM and webdesigning together, I don't know if DM will cover my expenses or not. DM will be my full time job. Actually I don't know what to do? Shell I quite DM course or shell I quite my work and go for Diving Career?

I don't know if anyone can make that call for you mate.

Either way it's a big lifestyle decision. I will say that DM-ing casually doesn't have to interfer with a career (and visa versa).

However if you want to do it full time then you can't have it both ways--working full time in diving and full time behind the computer.....

I guess the big question for you is this: Will diving supplement your income as a professional web designer or will web design supplement your income as a professional diver.....

Are you married?

R..

Yes I am married and I have a nice little baby she is 2 months old. The problem is I can't work in both careers because my recent work is in Alexandria (North of Egypt) and the opperunity that I have as DM is in Marsa Alam (South of Egypt). If I wasn't married the decesion wouldn't be so criticale.
If there is anyone work int he Red Sea can help. My salary in as a webdesigner is 1200L.E ($200). If I work in the feild of DMing as a full time career, may salary will be more than this??

Knight1989:
Are we talking US dollars here? I hate to say it but I think you are way on the high side. $2000 for DM? Your kidding right? Is that seriously the going rate? If so I got a hell of a deal. I paid $500. I agree that its all pricey, but not that much so. I think my OW was only like 250 or 350 as well. I just did some quick math based on what I remimber paying and mine came up to $1550 for all the way to DM with 2 specialties. I cant comment on the cost of dives since I dont hink I've ever actually paid to go on a dive in my life, joys of working at a dive shop and a rescue team.
Granted all of my dive training was done in Curacao about 2 yrs ago, but traditionaly things cost more down there, so I am suprised at those prices. I quess my dive instructor really liked me. Of course he made me work for the diveshop for free too....

When I got my DiveCon I didn't pay anything. The shop wanted my help and provided me the class. They also wanted me to become an instructor at their expence. I just didn't want to change my love of diving into work. I also knew that instructing was not going give me enough money for the time involved. To me it wasn't worth it. If it is to you, then you should do it. Just don't plan on making lots of money.
I'm talking about the USA here. I couldn't comment on circumstances in Egypt or other parts of the world.

Money for divemasters? Sure there is. I wrote a song about it....like to hear it?..here it goes! <to the tune of Beverly Hillbillies>

Let me tell you a little story about diver Brett,
a poor divemaster who was very much in debt
Then one day upon leading a dive tour,
he thought to himself, no longer I'll be poor

Well the first thing you know it, Brett is rolling in the dough,
he buys a 40 foot vessel, all his gear is ScubaPro
He has a Rolex dive computer and gold plated fins,
I wish that I could say, this is where the story ends

One day as Brett is filling up his favorite Scuba tank,
The FBI storms in on him and says, "He robbed a bank!"
As they begin to take him in, he says "I learned a lesson!"
"As a divemaster, I was poor, I stole, I am confessin!"
For other DM's out there, the rewards, they are a-plenty
Just don't follow his path or you may get ten to twenty.

Rolex for sale.
Dirt cheap.

The preceding was for humorous purposes only. Any similarities to anyone you may know are purely coincidental and ...well....quite funny to be honest.

freediver:
Money for divemasters? Sure there is. I wrote a song about it....like to hear it?..here it goes! <to the tune of Beverly Hillbillies>

Let me tell you a little story about diver Brett,
a poor divemaster who was very much in debt
Then one day upon leading a dive tour,
he thought to himself, no longer I'll be poor

Well the first thing you know it, Brett is rolling in the dough,
he buys a 40 foot vessel, all his gear is ScubaPro
He has a Rolex dive computer and gold plated fins,
I wish that I could say, this is where the story ends

One day as Brett is filling up his favorite Scuba tank,
The FBI storms in on him and says, "He robbed a bank!"
As they begin to take him in, he says "I learned a lesson!"
"As a divemaster, I was poor, I stole, I am confessin!"
For other DM's out there, the rewards, they are a-plenty
Just don't follow his path or you may get ten to twenty.

Rolex for sale.
Dirt cheap.

The preceding was for humorous purposes only. Any similarities to anyone you may know are purely coincidental and ...well....quite funny to be honest.

Good thing that I have learned not to be drinking anything while checking the board or I would need a new keyboard!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom