Why keep a physical dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patti -

You said it exactly. I've only been diving for one year and I still love to look back at my dives. I keep a physical journal to capture the stuff my computer doesn't record - the playful fish in the quarry, how I felt nervous on a certain swim through, how clear the water was in Key Largo. I certainly log the "facts" of the dive. But, I also like to write a brief story of dive too.

My wife teases me every time she sees me reading my log. She teasingly says, "Dear Diary, I saw a fish and a shark and a lobster and an ocotpus!"

Anyway - I like more than the "just the facts mam" history my dive log gives me. I'm in it for the experiences. This is my way of remembering them all.

yeah, to record all the things your dive computer won't.

i write in about using new gear, changes for weighting, what i wore, who my buddy was, stuff about my buddies like that they were singing the chicken dance song, things i saw like the giant cave sperm, how i felt about whatever was happening...i try to get the flavor of the dive put down.

i agree with patti about writing while it's fresh, though i don't always do that myself.

ScubaCatgirl:
I use mine for address's as well as quickie notes that I pick up from other divers. Baby Oil in the hair, Trip Tone the night before, etc. All where learned from other divers on the dive trip.

I have dive a computer (suunto cobra) and I download to my PC after every dive day. My software allows me to add detail. then every 5 dive days or so I print it out and save it in a binder in case I loose my 'puters hard drive.

BUT, who cares.
I want to know about baby oil in the air. Seriously, I have no idea what that means....:confused: :confused:

I only use a written log book for my records.

To the OP....

Yoiu have the reasons to have a log. #1 for me is as a keepsake.

As for "physical" I do keep mine in Excel but print it into a binder with page protectors and keep it in the vehicle wheh diving. I often refer to it for a configuration note, when did we last dive someplace or other bits of trivia. Part of my Excel workbook is a contacts worksheet with phone numbers (home and cell) of buddies. I also not significant others in case we need to call and they answer the phone, email addresses as well. Other dive site references like site guides and fish ID books are alo in the zip-up binder/portfolio.

A printed copy is self evident. It may be handed off and since it's a print-out it is replaceable. I have no interest in having a laptop or PDA with me when diving. Observe the usual back-up procedures with the master file.

It's whatever you need to keep track of your learnings and experieinces and to keep you organized.

Pete

Definitely to record what weights you wore with what gear in what conditions.

There are some places you may want to dive but the operators won't allow you to do it if you can't show 40 dives in your logbook... or 50... or 60... It would suck to have some cool dive you want to do but they won't let you because you can't show 30 dives in your log (but you know you have somewhere around 100). Yeah- you can make it up the night before, but WHY?

It reminds you of what you have accomplished and where you were when.

For instance, last year at the quarry wearing the same "stuff" I was wearing 20 lbs and got down to 18 (but noted that I thought I could have done 16). This year I started at 20 lbs, did a buoyancy check and took out 2 lbs. I was grossly overweighted still during the dive. I took it down to 16 on the next dives. The next week- I started out with 14 and it was perfect.

If I go back to Cozumel or Monterrey Bay or to somewhere where conditions are similar, I can look at what I wore and see if I was too warm or too cold. I can calculate what kind of weigh I will need (kind of hard to do a weight check when you get off the boat and need to go down...).

Also, if I haven't been diving in a while- it lets me know just how long a while is...

trucker girl:
There are some places you may want to dive but the operators won't allow you to do it if you can't show 40 dives in your logbook... or 50... or 60... It would suck to have some cool dive you want to do but they won't let you because you can't show 30 dives in your log (but you know you have somewhere around 100). Yeah- you can make it up the night before, but WHY?

I would never dive with such an op. It's either a rec dive or a tek dive. If it's the former than an OW cert card is all that you should need. If it's the latter than the appropriate tek card should get you on.

All of the above mentioned are solid reasons why I keep a written dive log. I also add the buisness cards of any dive operators/ boat captins/ and dive masters. The next time I vist and area I know exactly what impression was made upon me the last time I was out with them.

kirwoodd:
I have dive a computer (suunto cobra) and I download to my PC after every dive day. My software allows me to add detail. then every 5 dive days or so I print it out and save it in a binder in case I loose my 'puters hard drive.

BUT, who cares.
I want to know about baby oil in the air. Seriously, I have no idea what that means....:confused: :confused:

A DM told me about this in the Cayman's........Baby Oil is especially good for those w/long hair. You apply the baby oil in your hair before your dive so that when the salt water hits your hair,

1. your mask strap won't become intangled in your long hair

2. It will be easier to comb after the dive w/o all that head jerking tugs

3. Keeps the hair condition so it doesn't become brittle from the salt water.

I love #2. After every dive previous to using baby oil I would tug & tug & never could get a comb through & I also looked like I have severe bed head. Now when I end a dive, not only can I run a comb through it, but my hair dry's like I've never touched the water :wink:

Back
Top Bottom