Why keep a physical dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about baby oil but from doing triathalons where it is sometimes salt, sometimes muck and sometimes clorine, applying and leaving in conditioner is also a cure. My wife swears by it.

James

ScubaCatgirl:
A DM told me about this in the Cayman's........Baby Oil is especially good for those w/long hair. You apply the baby oil in your hair before your dive so that when the salt water hits your hair,

1. your mask strap won't become intangled in your long hair

2. It will be easier to comb after the dive w/o all that head jerking tugs

3. Keeps the hair condition so it doesn't become brittle from the salt water.

I love #2. After every dive previous to using baby oil I would tug & tug & never could get a comb through & I also looked like I have severe bed head. Now when I end a dive, not only can I run a comb through it, but my hair dry's like I've never touched the water :wink:

James Goddard:
I don't know about baby oil but from doing triathalons where it is sometimes salt, sometimes muck and sometimes clorine, applying and leaving in conditioner is also a cure. My wife swears by it.

James

You are so correct. Thnx for pointing that out...I forgot to mention the conditioner & it doesn't have to be an expensive conditioner either. :wink:

James Goddard:
I would never dive with such an op. It's either a rec dive or a tek dive.

If it's the former than an OW cert card is all that you should need. If it's the latter than the appropriate tek card should get you on.

There are infact several o/w tec ops that not only req. the appropriate c-card ,but will insist on log inspection as a prerq. to your dive plan approval.

texdiveguy:
There are infact several o/w tec ops that not only req. the appropriate c-card ,but will insist on log inspection as a prerq. to your dive plan approval.

Of course there are. I never said they don't exist, just that I won't dive with them.

I live in Missouri. I proved my ability to drive in Georgia. Missouri accepted my GA license as proof that I actually know how to drive a motorized vehicle. In fact they accepted it as proof that I know how to drive a 2 wheeled vehicle over 1000 CC's.

Certifications are worthless if they are not accepted. Why would I dive any spot because somebody said my hard earned cert is not valid when I can go next door?

James

James Goddard:
Of course there are. I never said they don't exist, just that I won't dive with them.

I live in Missouri. I proved my ability to drive in Georgia. Missouri accepted my GA license as proof that I actually know how to drive a motorized vehicle. In fact they accepted it as proof that I know how to drive a 2 wheeled vehicle over 1000 CC's.

Certifications are worthless if they are not accepted. Why would I dive any spot because somebody said my hard earned cert is not valid when I can go next door?

James

James... I understand your point....maybe I missed something in the pages of this thread. I have not yet run into a dive op that would not accept a recognizable certf. agency c-card ?? I have yet to actually find a recreational charter/op that 'insisted' on a dive log (though it may be printed in their dive lib. agreement) in addition to a qaulifing c-card for rec. diving...though there maybe some out there,,,,I quess I am protected since I always carry my card/log. :)

There are however some who have over 200 dives yet only carry an OW card even though they have the experience to do advanced dives(deep wrecks, reefs etc). In this case some ops will accept logged proof of these types of dives on lieu of an AOW or higher. The Spiegel Grove and the Duane come to mind. Alot of the Fla ops want an advanced card or proof of recent deep experience before taking someone out on one of these dives. Most likely a liability issue as well as it tells me that the insta-buddy I'm being stuck with on a dive to the Grove in 4-5 knot current is not going to kill himself or me. I ve actually asked new people to see their log if I'm not sure about them. If they are offended or refuse then fine you do your thing and I'll do mine. Do not expect me to cover your butt. I have no problem showing my log to anyone, including the deep solo entries.

James Goddard:

James

You are an instructor. There are people with "hard earned" AOW, deep, uw nav and rescue cards with only the minumum or a little better number of dives to get them that I've seen at our local lake who I would not dive in an aquarium with.

Speaking of baby oil... We had a doctor in Sint Maarten tell us to put baby oil in our 3.5 year olds' ear before swimming to prevent swimmers ear...

oh,, and I lost my log years ago, so now, I download my computer, print it and keep a copy of the software and log on a thumb drive... so I have several copies...

kirwoodd:
I have dive a computer (suunto cobra) and I download to my PC after every dive day. My software allows me to add detail. then every 5 dive days or so I print it out and save it in a binder in case I loose my 'puters hard drive.

BUT, who cares.
I want to know about baby oil in the air. Seriously, I have no idea what that means....:confused: :confused:

Baby oil in the hair helps keep it moisturized and easier to comb through.:blinking:

SparticleBrane:
Mine is stored in an Excel file, so it isn't "physical".

Acrobat here. If I go somewhere new I'll print out some recent pages in case they ask to see a log.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom