Why keep a physical dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because I can't remember what I did yesterday let alone what I did how many years ago.

JimLap:
If they are offended or refuse then fine you do your thing and I'll do mine. Do not expect me to cover your butt. I have no problem showing my log to anyone, including the deep solo entries.

But anyone could make up deep solo dives and write them up. What am I saying? Anyone can make up dive logs. AOW cards can be had by divers with 9 total dives. The only way you can evaluate a diver is to dive with them.

I log my dives because it lets me re-live them, once when I log the dive and then anytime I may look over my logs :)

Red: ... and I didn't even get my AOW until I had 16 dives, but I was the most "experienced" diver in my AOW class :wink:

Keeping a log is good for personal info, but seems unlikely anyone will inspect your log in rec diving. Several threads have asked and almost no one has had to present log to dive on this planet.

JimLap:
There are however some who have over 200 dives yet only carry an OW card even though they have the experience to do advanced dives(deep wrecks, reefs etc). In this case some ops will accept logged proof of these types of dives on lieu of an AOW or higher. The Spiegel Grove and the Duane come to mind. Alot of the Fla ops want an advanced card or proof of recent deep experience before taking someone out on one of these dives. Most likely a liability issue as well as it tells me that the insta-buddy I'm being stuck with on a dive to the Grove in 4-5 knot current is not going to kill himself or me. I ve actually asked new people to see their log if I'm not sure about them. If they are offended or refuse then fine you do your thing and I'll do mine. Do not expect me to cover your butt. I have no problem showing my log to anyone, including the deep solo entries.
My buddy falls into this category. He started out with only an OW card. Later he got nitrox and now he's full cave, adv nitrox and deco certified but he still doesn't have his AOW card. Personally I won't night dive with him until he takes his night specialty :)

ScubaCatgirl:
Reason #1 - What happens if your pc crashes & you don't have a backup?

Thats your own fault, make a backup. What if you lose your paper log? No backup for that im sure

Reason #2 - I don't know about your software, but mine doesn't allow for a whole lot of detail, thus I keep more extensive notes in my physical log such as the highlights of the dive, fish I've seen, etc.

Mine has far more detail than you'll write in a log and a notes column for adding a description so it covers all a paper log does and more.

Reason #3 - You want to show your dive log to a buddy :D

So print out the relevent bits if/when needed.

Back
Top Bottom