Why no computers for DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Man Chrpai has a well documented reputation for a short fuse, thin skin (although I'm sure its quite rosey and evenly complected) and an immediate, intense distaste for anything that remotely resembles DIR, DUE and all that rot. Hyperbole is his tool, waved with often quick broad strokes. (pun intended...)

Its all good. It just how he expresses himself. Lets not let this one spin off the rails too quickly. Corn, you've been to this movie, as have I.

K

chrpai once bubbled...
One would *think* that moderators would be level headed, moderate people... not extreme activists.

You may not be able to moderate this thread, but your title still goes forth and is embarrasing.

There is absolutely, positively, no edict that moderators can't also express their opinions as any other member might. This isn't like the US legal system where we are bound to play with more rules than those we might be playing with.

Now for pug expecially... Anyone who gets offended after getting 'pugged' definately needs to sit back and think about what just happened. Pug always as a subtle point that you gotta step back and realize... If you don't get it, you aren't thinking enough.

Now I'm not entirely positive pug doesn't get liquered up and come on and start toying with people for entertainment sometimes, but those thoughts generally only cross my mind when I'm on the receiving end of a good pugging.

Get Pugged.

Is there a hand signal for that?
:D

While I don't agree with everything UP posts I do not dismiss anything he says. I will read it and consider it carefully before I choose to do things differently. He seems to have very good reasons for everything he posts.

I also think that the bakers dozen of reasons against computers is more rant than anything else. The bottom line is that a computer is not really needed and therefore (in DIR) not used.

I like my computer as a handy set of gages and as an automatic log of my dive.

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Its all good. It just how he expresses himself. Lets not let this one spin off the rails too quickly. Corn, you've been to this movie, as have I.

I almost awarded him honorary "_in_calif" status. Much like our esteemed ad hominemious friend from California, chrpai has the knack for ruining threads he involves himself with.

thread is chrpai's lack of worthwhile input....

cyklon_300 once bubbled...
thread is chrpai's lack of worthwhile input....

The reason I havn't inputed anything is because the original question was entitled:

"Why no computers for DIR"

Not, should I use a computer or not use a computer. While I disagree with the whole computers rot your brain argument, that clearly wasn't the question. Since the question is what does DIR not use computers, it was cleanly answered for the scope of the question as links to MHK and GI3.

I simply had nothing to say on the topic due to the scope of the question. Now if someone wants to ask me why I feel computer usage is fine, I'll be happy to oblige.

Or you can be a ** and just think I have nothing thoughtful to say.

Thanks for all the interesting replies. Great food for thought. My feeling is that it's lack of use that rots your brain, and this from someone who's a fairly major techie outside diving, but who's father was a computer programmer back in the early 60's and still taught me mental math and it's importance.Who'd have thought playing darts was so educational).

I've not seen this 'on the fly' wetnotes use (never dived tech, just recreational resort diving) but would be very interested to learn more (any linkage?).

However, for recreational diving, I think a computer is a very good thing, as it allows you to keep a closer watch on your dive profile than you might otherwise be. Can anyone say ooh, look at the pretty fishes!.

Cheers,

J.

Freeflyer once bubbled...
Who'd have thought playing darts was so educational
I for one think darts is highly educational...

Benefits Include...but are not limited to...

- A large rage of individual's personalitites and backgrounds
- You get to learn neat ways of doing math rather quickly
- You get to drink beer at almost any age
- You get to play with sharp objects...and the pub owners think this is a good thing
- Many times there's a good tounament involved
- There's a great strategy to american Cricket

just to list a few.

If you're so out of shape you get winded climbing up on a barstool, yet still want to tell people you play "a sport", darts are the way to go :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom