Why Stainless Bolt Clips In DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used both brass and stainless snaps (all with stainless springs - you can get brass with stainless springs if you look for 'em) around salt water all my life (that's a long, long time, my youngest tells me), both diving and in general use on boats, and I have found the following to be true:
A snap (any kind) that is regularly cleaned and maintained (FredT mentioned a hot vinegar dip followed by penetrating oil - an excellent combination) will work well for years; one that is not will gather crud in the spring and slide (or hinge) and lock up.
I find zero correlation in the lockup rate based on the material from which the snap is made, but 100% correlation between neglect and lockups.
Rick

Brass will cut your thumbs, SS won't.

My wife this weekend had a brass clip on her SPG and her thumb was cut up so bad it was bleeding. Very painfull. Pop on a SS boltsnap and that problem is gone.

Also, I have noticed a difference in corrosion resistance and I'd suspect that brass clips with the ss springs would be pretty hard to find and probably close to the same cost as the SS. Who the heck is going to soak thier snaps in vinegar and penetrating oil after every dive??? Rinsing with fresh water is all you have to do with SS.

What's $100 for 10 snaps (if you even need that many) when you're spending thousands on gear??

BTW: Rick, did you guys finish this weekend?? If so Congrat's!!

Rob

dhnix on eBay has good quality SS bolt snaps cheap - 3/4" stainless ones are about $2.70 each shipped if you buy in lots of 15. They also have other sizes, as well as brass ones.

Originally posted by WYDT
Brass will cut your thumbs, SS won't.
Hmmm... never had that problem... I wonder if I may be using a different brand or something. Looking at my clips the actuating knobs appear to have pretty much the same shape to 'em as the stainless..
Curious that.
Rick

Originally posted by Rick Murchison

Hmmm... never had that problem... I wonder if I may be using a different brand or something. Looking at my clips the actuating knobs appear to have pretty much the same shape to 'em as the stainless..
Curious that.
Rick

Hey Rick,

It's not the knob that cuts your thumb..... brass is much softer than SS (as I'm sure you know) and the action of the knob and slide sliding back and forth serves to actually sharpen the channel where the knob & slide move. When the knob and attached bolt is pushed down as when you're opening the clip your thumb slides down onto this channel thus allowing the cut. By contrast the SS is hard enough to resist this sharpening effect of the bolt and knob sliding back every time the snap is opened.

In this case I believe it's not DIR vs X I'd use SS snaps anyway just so my thumbs wouldn't get cut up. :wink:

Wonder if those SS clips they are selling on E-bay are 100%?? If so those are nearly as cheap as the brass. Too bad I paid ~$24 for three this weekend at EE. DOHH!

DSAO!!

Originally posted by wetman
I'll let you know - i just ordered some saturday.

steve

Thanks! I'd appreciate that!

DSAO!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom