Why Steel Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have any problem diving steel doubles with a wet suit, but I add rigid foam flotation to get me near neutral rather than relying on a partially inflated BC to keep me off the bottom. Much safer and doesn't keep changing with depth.

I dive a 3mm full suit with double HP100's and slung stage bottles. Am I also going to die?

No... Well not from that. I know who you dive with and the type of diving that you do on a regular basis from your other posts and that speaks for itself. I highly doubt you or your buddies do anything that is careless or take unnecessary risks. You know how people on this board can be "If you don't use _______ you will die". How did I know that this thread would become that too.

No... Well not from that. I know who you dive with and the type of diving that you do on a regular basis from your other posts and that speaks for itself. I highly doubt you or your buddies do anything that is careless or take unnecessary risks. You know how people on this board can be "If you don't use _______ you will die". How did I know that this thread would become that too.

And if you associate yourself too closely with "those" types of divers you may die also! :idk::rofl3::popcorn:

And REMEMBER....

internet_serious_business_framed.jpg

You should not be diving steel doubles with a wetsuit.
You know: he's right! :homealone: I have often been seen diving Florida caves with double steel 95s in only my bathing suit and a t-shirt! Exposure protection is for wimps!!!

FWIW, the reports of a Manatee more than 100 ft back in a cave are cases of mistaken identity. :D

You should not be diving steel doubles with a wetsuit. If you want to dive a wetsuit you should stick to double AL80's.

Jeez, I better stop diving with my LP72s then, and go to heavier (on land) and bulkier tanks just so I can put 6-8 lbs on a weight belt.:shakehead:

Another DIR hero telling me what I shouldn't be doing.

All right -- come on, now.

Big steel doubles in a thin wetsuit open one to the risk of not being able to swim the rig up in the event of a complete wing failure (which is, thank goodness, an uncommon event, but not unheard of). Deep diving in a bunch of thick neoprene opens one to the same risk, since the wetsuit will lose most of its buoyancy at depth. Diving steel doubles with thick neoprene is a particularly bad combination. But all of these setups can be and are dived by people who are willing to take the risk of a complete buoyancy failure at depth. Whether they are taking that risk knowingly, or out of ignorance, is the question. But once they are encouraged to consider the possibilities, it's their choice.

Those of us who are in possession of this information really ought to be tactful and pleasant in disseminating it, because people are far less likely to listen to what we have to say if we are sarcastic, dismissive or insulting in passing it along.

All right -- come on, now.

Big steel doubles in a thin wetsuit open one to the risk of not being able to swim the rig up in the event of a complete wing failure (which is, thank goodness, an uncommon event, but not unheard of). Deep diving in a bunch of thick neoprene opens one to the same risk, since the wetsuit will lose most of its buoyancy at depth. Diving steel doubles with thick neoprene is a particularly bad combination. But all of these setups can be and are dived by people who are willing to take the risk of a complete buoyancy failure at depth. Whether they are taking that risk knowingly, or out of ignorance, is the question. But once they are encouraged to consider the possibilities, it's their choice.

Those of us who are in possession of this information really ought to be tactful and pleasant in disseminating it, because people are far less likely to listen to what we have to say if we are sarcastic, dismissive or insulting in passing it along.

Isn't sarcasm so much more fun though? It is only the internet afterall? I would think the goofy pictures, capitalization of the word DIE, multiple exclamation points, etc would give it away? I guess not... :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom