Will an older 72 cu. steel tank take a modern K regular valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got an older 72 cu. ft. steel tank from a friend of mine who hasn't dove in a long time and is out of the sport. I just had a local dive shop look at it and it's pristine inside with a VIP. It will be getting a Hydro in the next few weeks and should pass, hopefully.

It had an old J valve on it when I got it. I will be putting a modern valve on there. Should a modern K valve fit on this tank in all probability or will it need a special valve?

It looks to be circa earlier 1970s from what I saw on the outside of the tank.

Thanks!

answer is "maybe" as said above. It "should" be a standard valve. The shop will know and if you post a picture here, we can tell you.

On the burst disc, you're not going to find the "right" burst disc for them, so use a 2400psi service burst disc for it which is what is on modern low pressure steel tanks

Did your valve sit flush with the tank or were there some threads exposed?

If it sat flush, it should take a standard 3/4” valve

Hello BORG.

1970s era LP72s all have the standard neck threads. You're good.

As @tbone1004 notes, matching burst discs are difficult to find. They are discontinued and out of stock at the major online retailers, but there are still some left in parts of the supply chain. You would want to use a 3750 PSI burst disc, if available. Many people use a 4000 PSI burst disc as the most practical alternative that is available.

The 5000 PSI burst discs that come with most valves, are not suitable.

J valves make carrying easier, I have them on all my tanks.

Just got donated a 1967 WK 2250+ bottle. Guy at thshop told me it was a condemned tank. No X marks so I asked why. He said because the hydro shop(that they use) don't like old tanks.

Taper threads and a J.

Don't know of a source for tapered thread valves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom