Will an older 72 cu. steel tank take a modern K regular valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The the threads I've seen in 72's are the standard 3/4" which is most likely what you have and easy to swap out.

Second is 1/2" NPT which is a tapered thread and very obvious. It will show exposed threads above the neck of the tank. It really looks like someone forced the wrong valve into the tank. There are still some off these valves in use but you will likely ruin into problems with a lot of shops concerning your old tank. Someone is making a new version of this valve.

Third is the 1/2" NPS thread. This is a relatively rare valve configuration usually seen in Sportsways and White Stag branded valves. There hard to replace and you usually have to find them in eBay or in junk boxes at dive shops. I have 4 tanks with these toys of valves and I love them.

Just got donated a 1967 WK 2250+ bottle. Guy at thshop told me it was a condemned tank. No X marks so I asked why. He said because the hydro shop(that they use) don't like old tanks.

Taper threads and a J.

Don't know of a source for tapered thread valves.

XS Scuba still makes tapered valves. I acquired an old Voit tank and an old Healthways tank a while back and bought new 1/2 inch NPT tapered valves for them. The valves cost more than the tanks, but we got some good use out of them. Make absolutely sure you get the right valve for the tank, though. Also, I was lucky to find a shop that was willing to visual them and knew how to use the tape to seal the valve. Some places might not be willing to do that.

XS Scuba still makes tapered valves. I acquired an old Voit tank and an old Healthways tank a while back and bought new 1/2 inch NPT tapered valves for them. The valves cost more than the tanks, but we got some good use out of them. Make absolutely sure you get the right valve for the tank, though. Also, I was lucky to find a shop that was willing to visual them and knew how to use the tape to seal the valve. Some places might not be willing to do that.
I do my own tank service/ inspections so that's a non-issue. However, I find that the little skinny tiny neck makes it very difficult to get women in there.

I do my own tank service/ inspections so that's a non-issue. However, I find that the little skinny tiny neck makes it very difficult to get women in there.
Damnable auto korrekt. That was supposed to say "get down in there"

That is a classic autocorrect error! My 1962 and 1966 tapered valve tanks just passed hydro and visual again, so now I need to get out and dive them this year.

Any idea what these are? I was planning on cleaning them up until I saw the threads. Now I'm not sure.

Attachments

• 20240316_050401.jpg
    20240316_050401.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240316_050327.jpg
    20240316_050327.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 29

Attachments

• 20240329_190842.jpg
    20240329_190842.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240329_190809.jpg
    20240329_190809.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240329_190804.jpg
    20240329_190804.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240329_190757.jpg
    20240329_190757.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 20
Look like Healthways or Sportways 1/2" straight tank and valves

I have several Norris tanks - which those seem to be. They are either the teflon 1/2 tapered or normal K valves (3/4) valves. Is that valve smaller than a normal valve? As 2TH DIVR mentioned - it does look like a Healthways 1/2 straight valve like I have for a old WK, but didn't know Norris used those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom