Will an older 72 cu. steel tank take a modern K regular valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one 3/4" LP72, I guess I need one more to double up for a set. It's just a pipe dream anyway, I should be content with what I have!
How do you only have one 72? That is craziness. I usually buy them by the dozen.

They do not have the j valve anymore (which I've never seen in person so I don't even know what that looks like). They look like great tanks, maybe if I didn't have so many already? The insides look exceptional.

I have one 3/4" LP72, I guess I need one more to double up for a set. It's just a pipe dream anyway, I should be content with what I have!
The Mar-Vel valve still has the j-valve assembly (lever opposite the knob). I'd check it for function, and run it in as the second tank with the 3/4 valve (I presume you mean to use them side mount). When the lever is up, it holds back a certain pressure (depending on the j-valve 250-500 psi). They were used before SPGs were available/affordable... Dive till it's hard to breathe, pull the lever and use the reserve to surface.

How do you only have one 72? That is craziness. I usually buy them by the dozen.
I do not have anywhere near as many tanks as you, but I have a good amount. Steel 72's just aren't in my lineup. I have 2 of these 1/2nps and 1 3/4".. that's it.

I have seen them for sale (for cheap) just never right time right place.

Eventually it would be nice to have a set of double 72 for oyster diving, but I don't "need" them.

My dream was at some point to build a set of 72's for shallow dives,but I guess these ain't it. Shame as they are pretty.

It isn't hard for that dream to become reality:

Double_72s.jpg

The bands were originals from when they were mounted on the old plastic backpack, I modified them to go on a plate.

I do not have anywhere near as many tanks as you, but I have a good amount. Steel 72's just aren't in my lineup. I have 2 of these 1/2nps and 1 3/4".. that's it.

I have seen them for sale (for cheap) just never right time right place.

Eventually it would be nice to have a set of double 72 for oyster diving, but I don't "need" them.
Those bands Bob posted are what I am talking about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom