Will they EVER LEARN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

would that video put fear into the fearless? i have a family member who is better trained than me but is fearless and is not the brightest person in the world. We just had a talk today about caves and how he wants to do them... scares me.

Good job GDI. I think this is something that comes across quite a lot. There are divers out there who are idiots. They will try anything with this idea that "nothing bad will happen to me...". And then there is the rest of the diving community, who despite probably doing a disservice to the gene pool, will help these guys out when they get in trouble.

Divers like you are a credit to us all. Divers like them should be quietly taken out and beaten with a big stick. :bash:

As regards cave diving, would love to try it, but will have to be a better diver, with the appropriate training first!

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Thanks for the video link. I'm going to order it. As I progress as a diver I'm starting to "touch" on other aspects of the sport. When I wreck dive I peak into the wrecks but I have not penetrated except for the baby stuff, basically large swim throughs, school bus at Dutch Springs etc. When I look into some of these wrecks I get the willies just thinking about what "could" happen. And watching other divers with single tanks etc. penetrating the U-352 I just sit back and say to myself "not for me - not yet anyway".
I peaked into the Indra and was amazed at the strength of the "suction" (I was briefed and aware of it before and during the dive) from the current. Anyway I'm going for Cavern before I even do some of the easy wreck stuff or the "open water" dives that are really Cavern/Cave dives. Thanks for posting this stuff. I really believe it helps many of us. Even if it doesn't help those that don't listen. If it helps just one person then it's all worth it.

GOAT:
would that video put fear into the fearless? i have a family member who is better trained than me but is fearless and is not the brightest person in the world. We just had a talk today about caves and how he wants to do them... scares me.

It might. If you were to order the video for yourself and invite him over to watch it with you. Don't give him any preview. Just sit down together and watch it just like you would any other movie. At the very least it might make him see or understand the need for proper training.

Here's another great quote from the Small Hope website.

"We've been taking divers to the best sites along this incredible barrier reef since 1960, when double-hose regulators were state-of-the-art and before BCs were invented. Our dive center is now state of the art, and we are still almost always the only boat out on the reef!"

Hmmmm, didn't say how many divers they've brought back, did it? And I love that last sentence. Makes you think of a dog out in the middle of a busy freeway, looking around to see where all of his buddies went. Sometimes there's a reason you're all alone...

BTW, great thread and great story, Rick. Like somebody said above, even if the dumb sumbich doesn't know how lucky he was, the rest of us on SB do.

-G

Great job on the rescue, but I can't get over the feeling it simply delayed the inevitable.

That guy is just asking to die underwater.

Xanthro

Back
Top Bottom