Windows Vista YIKES!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonDawg:
2. "Are you sure you want to do this" prompts are driving me crazy. Yes I know it's just trying to keep me safe, but this is insane.
If you are talking about the User Account Control (UAC) prompts you can disable these.

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/wi...rol-in-windows-vista-using-the-control-panel/

Or if you are feeling more adventurous you can edit this setting directly in the registry:

In Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Locate the following value (DWORD):
EnableLUA
and give it a value of 0
Reboot Vista

You will need to be logged in with an administrators account to make these changes. If it is your home computer then you probably will not have to be concerned with an administrators account.

I've not encountered any problems with Vista other than the UAC. I turned it off with msconfig. Just go to start, type msconfig in the search window. A new window will open, scroll down to disable UAC, a dos window will open and show completed. All gone.

Does anyone know if the new Intel-based Macs can run Windows apps without installing a dual boot Windows OS (in other words do they have a built-in Windows emulator?).

Yes, I know... it's heresy. I've been a DOS/Windows user since 1984 (gulp, I just realized that) when I moved from my CP/M transportable (Kaypro 2) and laptop (Epson Geneva) to a Compaq desktop. I've railed against Macs for years (and have experience with them... freezing up just like the PC's do). However, I think they've made all the right moves to address most of my previous concerns and I'm actually thinking of migrating to one for video editing (while keeping my dozen or so PC's).

drbill:
Does anyone know if the new Intel-based Macs can run Windows apps without installing a dual boot Windows OS (in other words do they have a built-in Windows emulator?).

Yes, I know... it's heresy. I've been a DOS/Windows user since 1984 (gulp, I just realized that) when I moved from my CP/M transportable (Kaypro 2) and laptop (Epson Geneva) to a Compaq desktop. I've railed against Macs for years (and have experience with them... freezing up just like the PC's do). However, I think they've made all the right moves to address most of my previous concerns and I'm actually thinking of migrating to one for video editing (while keeping my dozen or so PC's).

Not all windows based apps sadly, however there are many now that can be installed on either :wink: but its up to the software developer to do it.

However I beleive most of the video and image editing apps can, check their individual websites to be sure though.

Jim Ernst:
I just bought a new computer as my old one was well........ Getting old!!

The new computer I love but the operating system WINDOWS VISTA..... I hate it!!

Well... Most of it anyway, It has some good to it but it keeps doing bad things all on it's own and has even reformated my hard drive back too factory settings without my permision!! I lost a lot of stuff due to this error!!

Windows Vista is very full of bad bugs!!!!:shakehead

Anyone else had this experience???????

I have been running Vista Business since the day it was released (MSDN download). Other than a few compability issues (Aeris dive computer software) it has been very solid.

I actually like it better than XP in a lot of ways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom