Winter diving in FL-recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capybara:
Thanks everyone for the detailed replies. Love the insider tips! This sounds like it will be fun. What kind of wetsuits do you normally wear out there, a 5 mm or 7 mm?
In the Keys, 3-5mm wetsuits seem to be the winter norm. Divers who are used to diving warmer waters tend to chill easily, and often add hoods or hooded vests to stay warm. Enjoy!

Hi Conchers,
We're headed up next week already. So excited. Planning to fly to Orlando, do a couple manatee snorkels & a day of spring diving, then head to WPB. Any recommendations on where to spring dive on MLK day Jan 16? We're thinking either Blue Grotto/Devil's Den or Ginnie Springs Ballroom. I'm assuming everywhere is going to be packed for the holiday. Do you need a guide for these cavern dives or is it pretty easy to find your way around?

In WPB we couldn't decide which op to go with so we picked 3-Pura Vida Wed Jan 18, Jupiter Dive Charters Thurs Jan 19 (keeping my fingers crossed for lemon sharks!), Splashdown Fri Jan 20. Would love to meet fellow SB'ers--if you're out there, come dive with us! Any recommendations on other non-diving things to do and restaurants in Crystal River/WPB areas? (No time for theme parks--I'm talking afternoon post-dive activities):wink:

I maw as as well Jump in here with a question too. I was thinking of hitting the keys in March, (most likely the later part) What can I expect temp and weather wise? Other than the SG, im open to other suggestions!

The drive from Key Largo to Orlando Area is about 6-7 hours. Add another 1.5 - 2 hours to get to Crystal River. There's not much of anything to do topside in Crystal River.

If my best freind was asking me for advice, I'd tell her to make these 2 trips. Spend your time in the Keys, Miami, West Palm/Jupiter. Unless you have small children, forget the manatees. It's cool to dive there, but in my opinion is not worth all the driving you'll have to do. Better to save that for a trip where you are only going to do spring/manatee dives and combine that with Devil's Den/Ginnie Springs and maybe throw in a day of theme parks.

Capybara - We might be able to join you with splashdown on the 20th. We'll be itching to get in the water by then.

The Keys in March you can expect water temps in the low 70s, air temps in the mid 70s to mid 80s. Winds are variable and that will determine the diving and vis.

Up in Key Largo, I do wreck dives. The Spiegal Grove and Eagle both being at the top of my list although the night dive on the Duane others are planning sounds like a hoot. In Marathon they have the Thunderbolt which is a fun wreck. Down in my neck of the woods, we have great reef diving and the wreck of the Adolphus Busch. Further down you can find the Cayman Salvager and Joe's Tug in Key West along with some more reef stuff.

Plenty of topside fun along the way!

You might want to check out some of the other Keys threads that are running for more info!

Rachel

Irene, thanks for the advice about the driving times. We were initially thinking of going to the Keys but decided against it for that very reason. We'll have to come back for that someday. So we're just going to Crystal River & West Palm. No kids, but I am a kid at heart and the manatees were the main reason we decided to visit Florida(we usually go to Hawaii in the winter). Never been spring diving before, and would also love to see the lemon sharks. Howard, hope we get a chance to meet you and Michelle.

Scubakevdm, hope to see you there. Have you seen any lemons yet?

capybara:
So we're just going to Crystal River & West Palm. . . the manatees were the main reason we decided to visit Florida(we usually go to Hawaii in the winter).

WOW...OK, I'd trade the Keys for Hawaii

If manatees are the priorty, my advice is to try and do Crystal River on a weekday...when you have less crowds to scare off the manatees. Also, plan your dive for as early in the morning as you can. If a spring dive is still in your plans, Devil's Den & Blue Grotto are about a half-hour north of Crystal River...It would be possible to do CR in the early AM and then make it to one of the springs for a afternoon dive.

Hope you have a great trip!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom