Winter diving in FL-recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those driving times are much better. If the Manatee dives are the MUST do trip then I too would reccomend hitting the Boyton / Jupiter area. Boyton will give you some time wrecking and the south side of the Lemons lottery (according to the Gov Walk Story) Then Jupiter for HUGE reef ledges and another lottery chance at the Lemmons.

Then on to Crystal River for some snorkel times with the Tee's. When you are done with that.. DRIVE.. CR & Hommosassa is a REAL SNORE above water. Do the other springs for some clear water diving that I will leave to others to reccomend.

Come back in the summer time for some calm seas, 100+ vis dives in the keys.

This time of the year is between 65 and 72 degree waters and blowing winds on the SI. Right now I would guess to be 63 ~ 66 due to a cold front. TO me that is a 7mm. I can not seem to get my waterproof matches to light to keep me warm but I can always vent some cool water in if the temp is 75 when I thought it would be 65.

Let us know when you are diving and where.. you will get some local guides for free.

Eric

Orlando Eric:
This time of the year is between 65 and 72 degree waters and blowing winds on the SI. Right now I would guess to be 63 ~ 66 due to a cold front. TO me that is a 7mm. I can not seem to get my waterproof matches to light to keep me warm but I can always vent some cool water in if the temp is 75 when I thought it would be 65.

When you say 7mm, do you mean fullsuit or farmer john? I am bringing my 7mm fullsuit, but am trying to decide whether to bring my 7mm hooded vest as well (my full CA getup) or just use the fullsuit + 5mm hood. How much weight do you drop for the spring dives in fresh water? Plus I'll have to figure out how much to subtract without the hooded vest. I usually use 8 lbs with a 3mm and 22 with the 7mm combo.

Orlando Eric:
Let us know when you are diving and where.. you will get some local guides for free.
Eric
Here is our dive schedule:
Sun Jan 15 Plantation Manatee snorkel + King Spring
Mon Jan 16 Devil's Den & Blue Grotto
Tues Jan 17 Bird's Manatee snorkel then drive to West Palm Beach
Wed Jan 18 Pura Vida
Thurs Jan 19 Jupiter Dive Charters
Fri Jan 20 Splashdown
If anyone's going to be there too, post or PM me!

Wish we could go to Ginnie too but I don't see how to fit it in and it's kind of far.
Topside things that look interesting: Homossassa Wildlife Park, Lion Country Safari, Kennedy Space Center. Don't know what to do in WPB yet.

"Current Manatee Count:
Florida Fish and Wildlife

January 7th, 2006

Over 322 manatees in Kings Bay have set a record for Crystal River. Conditions are great for a close encounter."

YES!!!!!Manatees here we come!!!
capybara

Just found out there's a scheduled rocket launch Jan 17! We just bought tickets, hope they don't cancel! Last time (only time) I was in Florida was in 1985 with my family and we watched the Discovery shuttle launch. I took tons of pictures on my little 110 camera and all of them looked like a little candle coming out of the water (we must have been really far away).

http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/launches/launchDetails.asp?calendarId=186

Dove the Spiegel and Duane on the 10th. The seas were a bit rough on the surface. There was no current down on the Duane but the Spiegel was a different story. On the tops deck (70-something ft.) the current was very strong. Once you dropped down into the shelter of the boat it was fine though.

The water temp was a steady 73degrees. I stuck with the thick wetsuits(5:8:5) and did fine.

We stayed at the Hungry pelican and dove with Silent World. Both places were great and nothing was crowded.

miranda

rapidiver:
Weeki Wachee Springs is a fun, easy dive.
QUOTE]

Yeah well it's fun and easy enough, but look out for the current which wants to carry you down the river! We did a night dive there a year ago, and we were told by the attendant to "go on out past the pool and let the current from the spring (which feeds the river) carry us out". He failed to tell us that it quickly becomes a river, and it's really hard to stop, turn around, and EITHER swim, crawl on the bottom (slick mud), or walk (nearly impossible) back against the current. We also weren't told whether there was a stopping point. So when we finally got back to the pool and got out and asked him, he replied "the Weeki Wachee River goes to the Gulf." That would have been a good piece of info to know before we went so far.

So just watch that part of it. The pool is enjoyable, especially trying to see how far down into the crac in the ground (the spring) you can get before the water coming out of the ground grabs your body and shoots you up about 20' or so. Cool dive.

capybara:
Here is our dive schedule:
Sun Jan 15 Plantation Manatee snorkel + King Spring
Mon Jan 16 Devil's Den & Blue Grotto
Tues Jan 17 Bird's Manatee snorkel then drive to West Palm Beach
Wed Jan 18 Pura Vida
Thurs Jan 19 Jupiter Dive Charters
Fri Jan 20 Splashdown
If anyone's going to be there too, post or PM me!

QUOTE]

I am coming down from NC this week. Was scheduled to get into Jupiter on Thur (1-19) evening and dive Blue Tang on Fri. I have been checking out JDC website and see they have openings on Thur, which is when you're diving them. My hotel (Best Western) is booked up solid for Wed night (I have it for Th night, then I head south to the Keys after Fri dives). Where are you staying in Jupiter? If I could find a hotel reasonable, I might come down a day early and dive with you guys on JDC on thur the 19th...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom