Woman Traveling Alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Jan this year I dove alone with Grand Bahama Scuba. It was a dream come true! Most days I was the only diver. We would head out and discuss what I wanted to see and do it. It was really like my personnel laid back dive team. They were terrific, let me dive my computer, when and where and were there to point things out, Huge turtles, eels in wrecks life ring, nurse sharks etc. Interesting how often the words dream, fantasy, great... are used when describing diving.

I had always wanted my certification but none of my friends at the time were interested. So, a few years back, I took myself down to Key Largo and did my referral. Rented a car and stayed by myself for a long weekend. I admit I was tempted to eat in my room every night. But after the first night I got used to being "alone". Once I figured out how to fend off those that think a single female dining out is only looking to be picked up, I had an amazing time. Met some really cool people. As with others, I was paired with DM. Both for certification and my first open water dives. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Well it looks as though every aspect of this has kind of been covered.

However I thought I would add my little bit.

Diving holidays are a great one to choose if you are on your own, as inevitably the ice is broken pretty quickly, and everyone just starts chatting at some point. Not always so easy when you are sat alone on a beach, feeling like billy no mates amongst all the happy couples or groups of friends.

As far as travelling alone goes, some countries are obviously a little more of an issue than others. I have just returned from a month in Egypt, where I went alone, however was very quickly embraced by the instructors at the college where I was training, so possibly only felt that I was there alone on a couple of occasions. In Arab countries, as a lone female, I would dress modestly outside of the hotel and resort areas, and in poorer countries I would be wary of wearing lots of jewellery or carrying too much cash. However if you have a relatively average amount of common sense, I am sure that you will encounter some fantastic new people and have the best of times.

I found also that on most boats, there are always a couple of people on their own and they are always just counted as part of the group, making for a great holiday.

Have fun.

Reading through all these posts I couldn't help but get really excited. I dove by myself last fall in Indonesia and didn't have any problems whatsoever....but why am I excited? Well, I just can't get over the sense of peace I achieved on that trip and now I'm thinking of throwing in the corporate towel for a year and travelling the world. Cummulatively, you ladies seem to have done just that. I would like to hit about 8-10 destinations around the world that would be focused towards diving. What I would vastly appreciate from you ladies and gents would be some advise as to where to go? when? and how best to travel in order to stretch my money? Also, has anyone out there done something similar? Please give me some feedback...it's not everyday a single gal thinks that quiting her job, selling her house, and heading out alone to burn much of her savings is a good idea. :eyebrow:

Christine,

I chucked it all and left the States but with my boyfriend and with a good safety net and some planning. Definately plan ahead and whatever money you think you need, you'll use about double. Think about if/where you are going to work, where you will live, the visa situation in each country you want to go to. It's fantastic to dream of travelling the world and all the fantastic people you'll meet, but then reality sets in and you'll be unhappy if you didn't plan for it.

I can't say much about the rest of the world, because I went there with the government, but as for most recently going it 'alone' so to speak, Thailand is a nice place to start. It's relatively easy to find work on Ko Tao, albeit illegal work, but everyone does it. Helps if you are a DM or Instructor but you can also work at a shop and learn at the same time. Accommodation can be cheap depending on your requirements. You'll meet a lot of other travellers. Really you can even start on Khao San Road in Bangkok, lots of young single travellers. There's also a city in the north of Thailand like that, Pai. A TEFL certificate will get you a long way in Asia, you can teach English and get visas in most countries.

Anyway, whatever you choose to do, please do your research and make sure you have plenty of money and a cut-off point when you will go home. I have seen people here that keep thinking they will make money and they don't and spend the cash they should have used on a plane ticket home then can't even afford the departure costs at the airport much less the ticket. Some of these people fall into drugs and other problems and that's not where you want to be in a third world country.

There are great and amazing adventures if you choose to do this but make smart choices. I met a single girl here that spends six months a year taking care of elephants at the conservation center and the other six months in India caring for children with leprosy. She goes back to Switzerland periodically to earn more money. She wears raggedy old clothes and kind of looks like a beggar when you first meet her, but I bet she is leading a really rich and fulfilling life. I dream of making such a difference. But moving away from my 8-5 job in the US is the best thing I ever did and a step in the right direction. I felt like I was dying there, working in the same crap cubicle, dreaming of my next piddly 2-week vacation each year. Going home to watch TV and fall asleep to do it all over again the next day. My life is a thousand times better and just keeps getting better.

Anyway, best of luck to you!!

PS, if you are 30 or younger, you can get a work visa in Australia. It is a really awesome country and you should go dive the GBR.

Chantana,

THis is rather off the subject, but I'd be very interested in some info on the work this woman you referred to is doing, with the elephants and the kids. I"m considering a trip to Thailand and Cambodia over New Years, and would stretch it to a few months if I were able to do a little work. Thanks also for the TEFL suggestion.
Christina,

I hope you'll keep us updated on your plans as they develop. This is something that's certainly in the back of my mind. I just returned from a solo trip to southern Italy (non diving), which was wonderful, and of course I've got ants in my pants now about living in another country, or at least travelling extensively.
Happy Planning to you!
Beck

Rhonda,
It saddens me that your dinners were not shared with a congenial dinner partner. I was in sales for many years and traveled extensively. I,too, grew tired of dining alone all the time.
I finally decided that, even though it was contrary to proper ettiquite, that if I saw a lady dining alone I would ask her to join me.
I may be a bit strange but, as a gentleman, I would be delighted if a lady were to ask me to share her dinner table.
Personally I don't think it would be presumptious or indicative of any other interests other than having a pleasant dinner.
As the hostess, you have control of the situation and are in a safe environment.
As my Scottish ancestors would say, "Nae guts, nae glorie . . ."

Dennis

So far the feedback is awesome...keep it coming (much appreciated Chantana). Don't worry, I have no intentions of jumping in over my head w/out any planning or a lot of thought. I'm actually a very detail oriented person, an engineer in fact. I've been saving for the past 5 years so there is no way I'ld be comfortable attempting this without leaving at least half my savings in a nice money market account to provide a cusion to come home to. And now the planning begins...I'm thinking that early next year would be a fine time to start the trip...right after I close out this tax year...heaven forbid I'm thrown into jail when I get home!

I've previously travelled to Venzuala, Mexico, Canada, Japan, and Indonesia and had to get work visas each time (heading to Germany then Greece next month)...so that already ran through my head. I'm a bit torn on the work thing though. I know some people who have taught English overseas but if I did that I wouldn't have as much time for diving and that would tie me to an area for longer than I was planning. I'm thinking that 1-2 months in any specific location would be enough to adequately explore it. I'm not currently a DM but I do think that would be something I could persue while I'm gone, then again I still have time to get certified if that would help. I also have no problem working at a dive resort or on a liveaboard for a discount, instruction, whatever ... so invites to locations or referrals would be nice :eyebrow: (here's my short resume - hardworking, smart, and full of crazy stories).

My other asperation would be to write a book during/about my journey then have it published at the end. Did I mention my new nickname could be "People's Champion" or "Big Dreamer"...he he!

wandernsoul,
the lady's name is janique and you can email her at elephanthospitalsociety@hotmail.com (i'm pretty sure that's it, let me know if that doesn't work). she's kind enough to send email updates of her adventures and i believe she is still in india right now. all her work is volunteer with a swiss organization. there are lots of NGO's in Thailand that can use volunteers. the website for the elephant conservation centre is www.changthai.com. there are a plethora of TEFL courses in Thailand, some offering employment immediately after you finish and visa assistance.

christine,
sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and you are going to have a great time. you know, we only have one life to live and it's much to short not to see the whole world and experience as much as possible. since you're an engineer, you're going to have a lot of opportunites open to you! do all the travelling while you're young, and no need to wait for a man, i wish i had done this ten years ago, especially when i see all the young people travelling around here. best of luck and keep us informed of your adventures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom