"Women's" BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always took it as a statement not a question. But it doesn't really matter, where ever you put the emphasis it comes off to me as condescending. I understand it's the name of the line and not a specific piece, but I still don't like it. If something was really the right piece of gear for me I would still use it (as I think 99% of marketing is lame and generally ignore it all anyway.) But if that name actually did appear on the gear I don't think I could bring myself to wear it!

Obviously everyone will have different opinions. Just shows how important and tricky naming things can be. But, we digress from the originally scheduled program...

I think it's great that gear is being made especially for us. My only question is whether the gear has really been designed for women, or simply mofidifed unisex gear? There's nothing more offensive to me than a product being rebranded and painted "girlie" colors and marketed specifically for women....as if I'm too stupid to tell the difference. (I'm not saying Mares is doing that)

Since there are a lot of masks out there for smaller faces, there wouldn't really be any reason to specifically design one for women, would there? I'm curious as to how fins would be designed for a woman?? Redesigned foot pockets? That sure could be great, couldn't it?

Good for Mares for working to create a line just for us!

I didn't think it was condescending. Just the name sounds weird to me. I keep thinking "He man". It's actually funny.

I am one woman who appreciates the attempt to make functional equipment to fit women and also have it look good. Nothing wrong with looking good--especially in Neoprene.

DiveMe:
I think it's great that gear is being made especially for us. My only question is whether the gear has really been designed for women, or simply mofidifed unisex gear? There's nothing more offensive to me than a product being rebranded and painted "girlie" colors and marketed specifically for women....as if I'm too stupid to tell the difference. (I'm not saying Mares is doing that)

Since there are a lot of masks out there for smaller faces, there wouldn't really be any reason to specifically design one for women, would there? I'm curious as to how fins would be designed for a woman?? Redesigned foot pockets? That sure could be great, couldn't it?

Good for Mares for working to create a line just for us!

The suits and BC are brand new products, our comparable mens products (which are also new) share performance & technical features, but the designs and cuts are very different from the men's products.

Our X-Vision mask is one of the most comfortable and best selling masks on the market. We kept the field of vision the same, but reduced to skirt size so it now will appeal to additional divers.

We added our Volo Power to this line (in the coordinating color) since this is a very popular fin and it's features offer more power with less effort. We are also adding a smaller foot pocket, but it is not ready yet.

Phil

Rick Murchison:
Have you tried the Balance? That's about as close as Seaquest has to a harness/wing arrangement.
They do have a new tropical jacket on the way that should fit just about anyone comfortably, so you might want to wait on that one.
Rick

The Balance is a terrific BC, I just got rid of mine after writing a review about it.

I was sorry to say goodbye, but it was time for a change. There is a women's version of the Balance called the Libra.

scubajoh44:
LOL! Didn't even notice my Texas T'wang. Yeeee Haaaw :laughing:

We'uns in the real South had that t'wang first. I don't find any disadvantage to a Zeagle Brigade. The straps angle to the side for anatomically comfortable fit. Women wear harness and wings so I don't see why women can't wear "men's" back inflated BC. The jackets might prose a problem.

Since it's debut one year ago, the Zeagle Stiletto has been very well received by women.
http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?src...ws&PHPSESSID=fc1ef97481a8db84319c2ded0906e07b

So much so, that we showed a prototype ladies version of the Stiletto BC at DEMA this year. We got some very good feedback on these two sizes, so this may be pursued soon.

Sometimes equipment ideas evolve, rather than form by design.

Chad
Zeagle Rep.

lostinspace:
I love my Diva LX cos it accounts for boobs, and waist and lumbar support can be adjusted for almost a customised fit.

I've gotta agree here!!! Though I'm leaning towards backplate and wings for local diving - I still LOVE my Diva LX!

scubajoh44:
I'm going to be working for the shop as a DM and have to "set an example." SeaQuest is my only option. (I just found out). I guess I will buy on of theirs and one for "ME" on the side. I'm 5'4" and 165 lbs. I'm very curvy and busty.

I'm a DM at a local shop where they want DMs and Instructors to "set an example" too. Translated of course, this means you will be a walking billboard for equipment the dive shop sells. Just another marketing gimmick!! Luckily, our shop has a wide line of products and it's hard to beat the prices since we're on a military base so everyone buys most of their gear here anyways. But I have no problem shopping elsewhere if they don't carry or can't special order want I want. Power of the consumer!

As for women's BCDs, well I'm an advocate for a women's line in everything! :luxhello: Our bodies are just different from men's and not just for the obvious physical differences. Our balance and center of gravity is different too. While, that isn't quite as important in scuba gear, I find it makes a significant difference in other equipment like hiking, kayaking, and skiing. When I'm in the market for new gear, I check out products designed for females first. The difference is astounding!! I personally recommend female designed wetsuits, drysuits, and BCDs for new women divers due to the increased comfort and fit, especially if you're curvy. But I would never push just one style, there are too many options. Ultimately it comes down to your body, what you dive in, and how you dive.

For example, over the last 9 years, I've owned 5 BCDs. I always upgraded for increased fit, comfort, and performance. My first BCD was an Oceanic (unisex). Being a new diver and not knowing any better I bought what the shop recommended. While it was a decent entry level BCD, it did not fit me properly. Literally, my dive buddy could put their entire arm through the space between the top of my shoulders and the BCD; underwater I swam inside the thing. After that, I upgraded to a female designed BCD. While more comfortable, it wasn't designed for the frequent use and more challenging conditions of cold water diving. I then bought a Mares for women. I loved that BCD while diving dry. But then learned a valuable lesson on lift capacity, after being lost in the Sea of Cortez for an hour. Right after that trip I got an Aeris for women, with the wings offering plenty of lift if needed. Again, while the BCD was great for one style of diving, drysuit, it was too big when I traveled and dove in a skin or shortie. I now have the Diva LX, which I love. I almost forget I even have a BCD on underwater, it's that comfortable. It's strong enough to carry a 100 HP steel and integrated weights. It is also has more adjustable features for a better fit when I travel to the tropics. My only complaint is that the bra feature does not fit as well over a shell drysuit as a neoprene drysuit. But since entering the dive master program, I wear the neoprene drysuit all the time now. So it’s not a problem.

Phil Mintz:
Our X-Vision mask is one of the most comfortable and best selling masks on the market. We kept the field of vision the same, but reduced to skirt size so it now will appeal to additional divers.

I just want to understand...is this a women's model of the X-Vision? Or have all X-Vision masks been changed now? As of when?

I love my X-Vision, and it took me forever to find the best mask I have ever worn. So, if it just changed, I'd like to get a couple of the older ones. Maybe I'm hard to fit, but it's the first mask I've worn that reliably doesn't leak and is comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom