Worst ever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
ZoCrowes255 you'll definitely enjoy this thread - Internet and your LDS

BTW - isn't "The person in charge of training at the shop" your dad?

Yes but I never tell people that. I don't want people to think that I have my job JUST because of who my father is or that I had it easier than any of the other staff. I actually had to work harder for my Dive Con and Divemaster than most.

Most people only know that he is my dad if they've been coming around for a while or notice that both of our business cards have the same last name on it.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
$25.00 is cheap for what they did to you. I'm not entirely sure that I would have assembled the gear at all. Certainly not for less than the value of two hours of my time on a Friday night.

Let 'em assemble the stuff themselves and see how well it works when they go on their trip.

This kind of behavior really p*sses me off.

Let's say they had a few friends who wanted to learn to dive and I pissed them off by refusing to assemble their equipment for them. They would more than likely tell their friends not to come see us than if I treated them well. Bad new always travels faster than good and those friends might just be the people who purchase $2000 worth of equipment. We let people know that the internet is out there and we give them incentives to buy from us and if they choose not too that is their loss as well as ours and there is nothing I can do about that. I appreciate your sympathy though

And under those circumstances you are right. It still annoys me that people think that those who sell their knowledge should be willing to give it away for free so that the buyer can use you and run off to LP or some other trash house to buy their junk.

ZoCrowes255 once bubbled...

Yes but I never tell people that. I don't want people to think that I have my job JUST because of who my father is or that I had it easier than any of the other staff. I actually had to work harder for my Dive Con and Divemaster than most.

Most people only know that he is my dad if they've been coming around for a while or notice that both of our business cards have the same last name on it.

I completely understand that logic. I was only pointing out that you've revealed that information to us the rest of us on the board. Anyway it's unrelated to your post. I'm most interested in how you've been able (over the last few months) to overcome the "respect" issue you originally posted on when teaching scuba at such a young age. It must really be quite a challenge.

It's like this. I will be getting regs locally, so that's fine. Catch is - I am planning to skip the jacket-inflate stage (don't like 'em much and nothing I've seen on the board has changed my mind at all:D) and go directly to BP/W. There's no point in getting them through my LDS - he'd have to order them in specially, so I had planned to get a rig (or part of it) from a certain BP manufacturer in Barrie and either get the wings directly from manufacturer or also via the BP man. What would be a fair price for setup and possible future help with servicing (on a per hour basis)? They know BPs well enough to help set me up but there just isn't enough demand for them here, I guess (or perhaps the arguments expressed by detroit diver on another thread vis a vis profitability in sellling BPs apply here).
It's a good store and they don't whine if you show up in gear not bought there, so I'd really like to be as fair as possible here... Advice? Suggestions? Rates? Thank-you.

You should be able to service any part of a BCD or BP/wing on your own.

I remember thinking about unscrewing the inflator hose from the bladder, should I or shouldn't I? I remember thinking that I neeeed to know what it looks like inside and how I worried, that what if I screw it up - man it's expensive and I could die. Honestly, it's not that complicated. IMO the best place to learn about your equipment is from your peers or a dive shops salesperson that will walk you through the equipment when you purchase from them as a service that is part of the sale. I know that you said you were not going to purchase locally, so you’re stuck learning from your peers. I’ll be in Edmonton in a few weeks. wink wink.

However, if you need some "professional" :wink: help, some of the LDS in Edmonton offer a private lesson with a dive master in the pool for around 35.00 - 45.00 cdn per hour. Tell them you want to set up your BP/wing, including disassembly and assembly and learn a few skills, so the DM will need to have the experience required.

:upset: Bad customers? Hell, they arn't FELONS are they?
They arn't fresh out of prison are they? They understand
the meaning of "shower" and "bath" don't they? All this
carrying on about people being rude...bend over and
some of my "customers" will show you what rude really
is!

DiverBuoy once bubbled...

I completely understand that logic. I was only pointing out that you've revealed that information to us the rest of us on the board. Anyway it's unrelated to your post. I'm most interested in how you've been able (over the last few months) to overcome the "respect" issue you originally posted on when teaching scuba at such a young age. It must really be quite a challenge.

It's not that bad so far. I'll occassionally get someone who won't listen to me but for the most part I try to maintain a degree of professionalism while at the same time trying to make myself personable. The first thing I do in a class that I am helping with (my ITC is not until Spring I am a Divecon) or a refresher is let them know that I have been around diving all my life and that I myself have been diving for 7 years blah blah blah and so on and so forth. I never tell them my age (if they know the minimum cert age for NAUI it's not too hard to figure out) and I just try to present myself as a professional not as a kid who is just goofing around. So far it seems to be working pretty well. We do anonymous class reviews and so far I have gotten very good comments.

Back
Top Bottom