Worst of Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you, KM, for the voice of reason in a sea of pier confusion, so to speak.

CVC, my memory is pretty fresh. While we were somewhat disappointed, and waterlogged too, this did not impair our abilities to spot and walk a pier that led to no where but rocks, thick brush, no beach, no sand, and no beach club.

I have learned quickly in this thread that divers have their predilections for different piers and si's.

But this dive op promised (and we paid extra for) a surface interval at a beach, which beach was not to be.

The talk of techies was really intended to address two previous posters' questions about whether there were in fact techies aboard, mixed in with recreational divers, and how the techies contributed to a less than stellar dive op.

Based upon our overall experience with Deep Exposure Dive Center, this is why I chimed in under this recent post of 'worst experiences in Cozumel.'

Thank you all for listening and for your input <insert pitcher of margaritas here>. Have a few on the house. I bought your favorite flavor....
That's because everybody is thinking of this pier. Which is a real gem.
2ntcwog.jpg

It's a uninhabited pier in the middle of nowhere, with a beautiful beach! What could be nicer than that for a SI. Every dive OP I have dove with in Coz has taken me there. I love the place. It's part of the Cozumel experience. 99% of the dive OPs end up there at one point or another.

Ya'll go ahead and talk about Mike. I'm going to fart roses out my butt in his honor. (bring the tequila Chief, in case it hurts) I imagine it will smell heavenly, so try not to drown it out with poisonous fake Cuban cigar smoke, will ya?

When you're done disin' Mike can we move onto peeing in wetsuits, cuz that was truly the most amazing waste of 150+ posts I've ever seen.

OMG! It's baaack! Now if someone will bring back the Topics that have been beaten to death my work here is done :wink:

Last edited:
This was not the pier that the poster referred to. WE stop there frequently and you can even see our big boat Falicity on the other side. IT is just a short walk north to Palancar Beach Resort where we now do all Surface intervals, but most of our smaller boats park on the sand close to the the resort to avoid the walk.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

---------- Post added September 20th, 2013 at 08:38 PM ----------

Dear Quiet Storm,

The rude and offensive post has been removed by the moderators. Welcome back to the real Cozumel.

Dave Dillehay

This was not the pier that the poster referred to. WE stop there frequently and you can even see our big boat Falicity on the other side. IT is just a short walk north to Palancar Beach Resort where we now do all Surface intervals, but most of our smaller boats park on the sand close to the the resort to avoid the walk.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave Dillehay

Dave, by "Palancar Beach Resort" do you mean Playa Palancar?

Playa Palancar - Rancho Dalila Palancar - COZUMEL

When I hear resort I think of a hotel complex. Did you have to move there because of something I did at Mr Sanchos?

Without getting into the crapola about whether I love Coz too much or not:

Here is a crappy pic of Sand Dollar's pier.

PICT0120.jpg

Water spots on the dive camera, but this is Palancar Pier looking at the beach.

PICT0127.jpg

That is a crappy photo too, but there is the beach club just up the beach. (Or as we call it the sit down toilets....)

PICT0128.jpg

You know I took pics today. I think it might be sandollar. It does look alot as described. That would be a sucky spot to stop and not where one would expect.

Oh, and we are meeting in El Moro tonight. Bring your tinfoil hat and remember the password. We will be talking about Mike.... :)

hehe......

---------- Post added September 20th, 2013 at 06:44 PM ----------

There's actually some pretty good snorkeling right around that pier, and under the limestone ledges on shore. And you can walk to where the famous torta lady is (phenomenal food!), so it's not a bad place overall for an SI. But if you were promised to and looking forward to a sandy beach, it's definitely not that.

Sand Dollar pier has a beach.

no62kl.jpg

mlm8p3.jpg

Really crappy pics CV. You Coz hater you.
Without getting into the crapola about whether I love Coz too much or not:

Here is a crappy pic of Sand Dollar's pier.

View attachment 166675

Water spots on the dive camera, but this is Palancar Pier looking at the beach.

View attachment 166676

That is a crappy photo too, but there is the beach club just up the beach. (Or as we call it the sit down toilets....)

View attachment 166677

Fishing, that's the pier at the Aura. The one we're talking about is at the other end if the "complex", past the Resedencias condos.

Fishing, that's the pier at the Aura. The one we're talking about is at the other end if the "complex", past the Resedencias condos.
This is the wooden pier in front of Aura. The two pictures are taken in the same spot, I just spun around 180 degrees.

23uxhj.jpg

The buoys in cv's picture mark the swim area, it's the same pier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom