Would you dive with buddy with no Octo?

Would you dive with buddy with no Octo?

• Yes

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 95 76.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am very new to this sport, but my partner has a octo and I plan on getting one. I would much sooner be safe then sorry. I enjoy the partner I have and anything that I can do to make sure we keep diving as a team is what I am going to do. Happy diving!!:D

While I wouldn't dive with someone who was so inconsiderate as to dive without an *octopus* or other safe second...

I would let someone dive with me while I wasn't carrying one. :wink:

Last week I wanted to test out a super minimalist set up that didn't include much of anything and I was with another diver (from this board) who was doing his second dive in a new drysuit.

I told him ahead of time that I didn't have an octopus on the rig but he was willing to go anyway... and we stayed close and shallow <40fsw.

I kept a close eye on him and would have had no problem donating to him if he went OOA... but then I kept a close eye on his SPG to make sure that didn't happen either :wink:

I don't recommend this and will be adding a long hose with bungeed back up to this rig before diving it again.

I told him ahead of time that I didn't have an octopus on the rig but he was willing to go anyway... and we stayed close and shallow <40fsw.

I figured if you were willing to take the chance of not getting your primary back in an OOA situation, I was willing to take the chance that you'd donate it in the first place :wink:

FWIW I did have to seriously think about it, before I agreed. Had it been with another inexperienced diver I wouldn't have done it. And had I not felt given the dive plan I could make a safe ascent without air if necessary I wouldn't have done it either.

Besides I hadn't gotten to dive in over 2 weeks, there was no way I could turn it down :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom