Would you dive with buddy with no Octo?

Would you dive with buddy with no Octo?

• Yes

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 95 76.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_jmac

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

Met another diver a few weeks ago at a popular dive site.
We planned to dive today and when we got to the dive site he told me he had no octopus.

Would you dive?

Pertinent Info:

1) I am a novice diver (32 dives)
2) First time diving with Buddy
3) Buddy is novice with <10 dives
4) Dive site: 40 ft/current (sometimes strong)
5) I do have an octo

Note: I was taught by my instructor to never dive with a buddy with no spare air (octo). Since I was uncertain ... I decided to hold off on the dive. We ended up a snorkelling instead. Had a good time. We parted on good terms.

Thanks for your responses,
Joe

None of my buddies wear octo's, so yes, I dive all the time without any of us having an octo. OK, so that is slightly tricky, we all donate our primary and breathe off of a safe second below our chin. Sorry.

But to get serious, I think you did the right thing. Your buddy did not have much experience to begin with, and if something happened to you, could you depend on his buddy breathing skills? Better safe then sorry.

Originally posted by JamesK
None of my buddies wear octo's, so yes, I dive all the time without any of us having an octo. OK, so that is slightly tricky, we all donate our primary and breathe off of a safe second below our chin. Sorry.

But to get serious, I think you did the right thing. Your buddy did not have much experience to begin with, and if something happened to you, could you depend on his buddy breathing skills? Better safe then sorry.

James...in Joe's description of an octo as being a spare source of air vs. another second stage clipped off in the 'golden triangle', don't you thing your safe second below your chin would apply?

Even though you are donating your primary, there is an alternate air source available to you and your buddies.

Joe...you were right in avoiding the situation.

Perhaps refrase the question.

Would you dive with a buddy who did not have a donatable redundant second stage? Ei, in the event of gas failure you would be forced to buddy breath off one second stage, or probably fight over the thing while trying to maintain some sort of controlled accent.

Which leads to another question. Would you dive with someone who dousn't have a backup first stage?

I carry a redundant air supply so I don't _really_ need a buddy with an alternate air source, but do I really want to dive with a buddy that isn't willing to spend a little money on my safety?

They want to be selfish, they can dive alone.

Originally posted by Dee

James...in Joe's description of an octo as being a spare source of air vs. another second stage clipped off in the 'golden triangle', don't you thing your safe second below your chin would apply?

I was simply being a smart fart. Sorry, I did not expect anyone to take the first part of my post too seriously. Sarcasm is hard to express online. :D

Between my pony and my octoless buddy we should have it covered. Although I would be worried that the obvious equipment deficiency might be an omen of things to come.

I might dive with a buddy with no octo, but not with THAT buddy in those conditions.

If I was with someone whose abilities I had confidence in, and who could demonstrate to me that they knew how to "buddy breathe", and if the plan was for a relatively easy dive, then I think I'd be okay with it.

Snorkeling sounds like a great plan, and it's good you were able to keep things on friendly terms. I had a good snorkel myself on July 3rd, and my buddy was a kayaker! Saw squid in the wild for the first time that day... thought they were dead until I got a face full of ink.:hehe:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom