Would you dive with buddy with no Octo?

Would you dive with buddy with no Octo?

• Yes

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 95 76.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You did the right thing, a new diver unwilling to spend a few bucks on a backup...no way...There are 2 people I would feel comfortable buddying up with without an octo and one of those 2 is my wife...

You did the right thing! I apparently feel a lot stronger than the other posts...my response is no bloody way!

1) Says volumes about their comprehension of basic setup/needs/procedures

2) My buddy is my backup!

3) Creates questions in my mind about everything else about the diver.

All of the divers I would *trust* without an alternate air source that they or I could use in need would not dive without one anyway!

Almost all Courses with All Agencies teach and insist you have two regulators form your Primary tank.

Your Primary Reg are your Octopus or Spare Reg
If your bddy does NOT have a second Regulator and YOU for any number of reasons runout or cant get air form your own tank, then you are in for a pretty ****ty time of it .

Just a point to note be self redundent, carry a pony bottle with you. Nut NEVER dive woth a buddy that does not have a second reg aka Octopus.

Cheers
Chris
http://homepage.mac.com/sydney_diver/

No long winded explanations from me this time, just NO.

I've seen this question once before. I suggested then an option of putting your octo on his rig. It moves much of the problem from you to him but you could still end up with the problem of an OOA buddy and very limited means to assist. I think you did the right thing in this case.

In your case I'd think hard about if I wanted to spend the dive babysitting.

Most of my regular dive buddies only have 3 hoses off the first stage reg. (4 if diving a dry suit) We all learned back in the days when buddy breathing off a single reg was mandatory and regularly practiced due to a lack of SPGs. I trust all my normal buddies to give my primary BACK after I loan it to them for a couple of breaths. If I can't trust them to do that I won't buddy with them, or I'll take other precautions for the dive. Solo is safer!

BTW I also don't have a problem with a free ascent from 60' or less if the twit won't give it back! He may be a bit surprised to find himself holding my gear though.:confused:

FT

ok, i wouldnt dive in your situation.
but with a few buddies that i know and trust, then yes i would dive without an octo (back-up).
i trained CMAS and one of the first skills was buddy breathing from one reg. i trained with my regular buddy so we are both comfortable doing so.
it goes without saying that once you are BBing, then ascend safely and immediately.
jim

hey all ,
ok here is where life gets interesting , i voted yes and this is why
i fish for sea urchants in nova scotia ,if i have octo hanging off my side or anywhere else i am going to be tangled up in everything all the time we have to limit our gear as to what dangles in the rocks and tide kelp beds ... my point is that it all depends on your level of comfort, the ammount that you dive your skill as a diver ,

for you the decision to stay on top and snorkel for the day was the correct choice for you and for you being able to use your head and knowing your limits , is the first step of being a responsible diver .

ive dove with meny people and some have octos and some dont but the the diver who is a little unsure always asks about the buddies equiptment/condition of equiptment and will take notice when it isnt up to parr and can call the dive .

rob

Originally posted by ebbtide
hey all ,
ok here is where life gets interesting , i voted yes and this is why
i fish for sea urchants in nova scotia ,if i have octo hanging off my side or anywhere else i am going to be tangled up in everything all the time we have to limit our gear as to what dangles in the rocks and tide kelp beds

Maybe you need to look into a Hogarthian style rig. Nothing to dangle at all, plus you still have a safe second.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom