Wreck Penetration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TDI Advanced Nitrox (So you are clear headed on the wreck)\

Everything I have ever read and been taught says this statement is untrue. Oxygen is as narcotic or more narcotic then nitrogen. Pretty sure this is stated in your TDI Adv. Nitrox manual.

the advanced nitrox course will teach you to use nitrox to depths of 150 feet and up to 100% oxygen.

If used properly the supposed narcotic effect of oxygen are limited if even existant.

This course is not designed to teach deep air diving, it is primarily deisigned to teach the use of higher Po2 of oxygen to offset the narcotic efects of nitrogen at depth.

the course is considered a stepping stone to further education, and once you arte introduced to Trimix then the theories of and benifits of helium used in shallower depths can be taught

the use of oxygen has nothing to do with clear headedness
the removal of nitrogen does, and at this level you simply replace that nitrogen with oxygen.

there are some damaging effects to the body by breathing high Po2's of oxygen which can be offset as the training continues, like back switching

scubanarc once bubbled...

Everything I have ever read and been taught says this statement is untrue. Oxygen is as narcotic or more narcotic then nitrogen. Pretty sure this is stated in your TDI Adv. Nitrox manual.

By the way, what do you breath under water

said in very simple terms

for insatnce

32%O2 at 100 feet has a Po2 of 1.29 [High Po2]
and an equivalent air depth of 86 feet.

if someone is prone to narcosis at 100 feet this mix will prevent that.

I understand any elevation in Pn2 will result in some level lof narcosis, but i am keeping it simple here

scubanarc once bubbled...

O2 is not Narcotic it is TOXIC at depth. Minor difference. Helium is Narcotic about 600 ft.
Couldn't find it in my course notes.

In the the 100-180 range, Nitrox helps. Ain't perfect - that is why there is trimix but it helps.

(hey Aqua Tec, you are mostly right but I believe that Advanced Nitroc (TDI) is to 80% O2 and IANTD Advanced Nitrox is to 50% O2
deco mix -- of course I should probably check the TDI website)

So, what's the deal? Is it know that O2 is not as narcotic as nitrogen or is just suspected? I thought I read in my Dir-f book that O2 had an even higher nacrotic potential.

I though that EAD (in terms of NITROX) was just for NDL stuff not for how now narced you are going to be?

If I'm diving at 100' with EANx32 is my head really going to clearer than air? I dive with nitrox and air and I really can't tell, but, am I supposed to be not as narced?

This is why I like the tech forum, I know you guys all know your stuff, but, I read in Ontario Diver's last post that NITROX is good for the 100-180' range. Could some explain this? After about 100-130' don't you need air (or TRIMIX with 21% or less of O2) to prevent from taking an O2 tox hit?

...the jury is out on the narcotic properties of oxygen. It is "supposed" to be as narcotic as compressed air and is actually included in a lot of equivalent narcotic depth (END) calculations. That being said, there is definitely the factor of metabolism, since nitrogen is an inert gas and oxygen is metabolized and used by the body.

I have been noticeably narced twice in my life - once on compressed air in a quarry at 90' and once in the ocean at 126' on EANx27. I, for one, can't wait until I can start adding helium since I didn't particularly enjoy the narcosis feeling..

6. Narcotic factors of gases:
Narcotic factors of gases:

(Chemical sign, name, factors (divide by / multiply by) )

He, helium, 4.26 / 0.23
Ne, neon, 3.58 / 0.28
H2, hydrogen, 1.83 / 0.55
N2, nitrogen, 1 / 1
Ar, argon, 0.43 / 2.33
Kr, krypton, 0.14 / 7.14
Xe, xenon, 0.039 / 25.64

(Source: "The Physiology and Medicine of Diving" by Peter Bennett and David Elliott, 4th edition, 1993, W.B.Saunders Company Ltd, London.)

The table above is based on narcotic effect of air (=1). So, for example, xenon (as diluent gas in same percentage as nitrogen in air) in breathing mix is 25.64 times as narcotic as nitrogen. Or helium is 4.26 times less narcotic than nitrogen, etc.
It is also good to know, than oxygen is narcotic in high partial pressures. Some sources claim it to be as narcotic than nitrogen (Bill Hamilton, http://www.tekniskdykking.org/tekniskdykking/artikler/aqua/RWHNitrox.htm.

I thought this was a good comparison of narcotic factors...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom