Wrist Mounted Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hadn't heard, but that is very interesting. Although I probably would have leaned toward a Petrel over a Lynx, it's an interesting development. Seems like Mr Huish is making some quite astute acquisitions...

That's an interesting comment about Petrel vs. Lynx. I'm curious as to how important, relatively, air integration is to people looking at a wrist mounted Cobalt. I have always wanted to have both as options, but am interested to know if there are many who would prefer a non-integrated wrist Cobalt- assuming it also had all the other current Cobalt features- dive log, planner, compass, six gas deco capability, rechargeable battery, etc. Would you want the option to add a transmitter later, or would you not care?

Ron

Overall, I prefer the design of the Shearwater. It's a beautiful piece of kit, and looks like a work of art. The Cobalt isn't bad either, but the Lynx doesn't quite get there as far as appearance goes imo. I know Atomic puts as much emphasis on form as functions so I assume that you won't adopt anhe Lynx's styling.

I'm not sure about air integration. I use much less air than the punters I dive with, and rarely look at my air. I wouldn't feel comfortable with AI only, and would keep my brass & glass spg anyway....but I might be tempted to put ai on as well depending on cost. For the average recreational diver I could see it being popular.

That's an interesting comment about Petrel vs. Lynx. I'm curious as to how important, relatively, air integration is to people looking at a wrist mounted Cobalt. I have always wanted to have both as options, but am interested to know if there are many who would prefer a non-integrated wrist Cobalt- assuming it also had all the other current Cobalt features- dive log, planner, compass, six gas deco capability, rechargeable battery, etc. Would you want the option to add a transmitter later, or would you not care?

Ron

FWIW, Over the past several years I have become very fond of "hoseless" air integration. For those who don't like it or trust it, is easy to still use an spg as primary or backup with such a computer, so there is no real downside, but I have had virtually 0 issues with transmitters and receivers in the years I have used this type of computer and have come to appreciate the ability to see all the data I might need by a quick glimpse at my wrist, even if I am also dealing with camera gear, a pole spear, a lift bag or something else. Other than a cost issue, I don't understand why anyone would prefer a computer without the AI function since its use is optional for those who find the technology intimidating.

As far as design, I am much more interested in the quality and content of the display, ease of use, the method/security of attachment to the wrist and "comfort" than I am style.

Ron, for many years I dived with an AI from a leading mfg. I really liked that feature. They had a HE version that was also AI but I did not like it. When I went looking for a new tech computer there were no others with HE and AI and because I needed HE I moved to your new sibling's rival. They just announced a firmware update that in addition to a couple of tec modes gives one a rec mode (safety stop and a bit more).

My wife has an AI console also from a leading mfg she likes that as well, as she is not too sure about having something on her wrist. But is close to moving away from it as she too will use HE here soon.

That said if not for the HE need I would want a computer that is AI. In fact I miss my old AI computer and wish I kept it as my back up as I would dive it in gauge mode for technical dives and still be able to monitor my back gas. The AI does not need to be fancy and monitor multiple transceivers. Just one, even if I am diving multiple gases - few people will own more than one transmitter.

So given all that I would certainly want AI but do see that there folks who are happy to use an SPG. So the dilemma becomes do you make a version without the AI technology or make it with the AI tech but the transmitter is optional. To me that is your real dilemma. I say that because other mfg who offer multiple computers take the route that if no AI there are other "features" removed like the compass and multiple gases so to reduce the price. While possible I am not sure that is part your business model at this point in time.

Perhaps a middle ground would be to offer the computer with and without transmitter module in the computer. If someone later wants to upgrade they can send the computer in and have the transmitter module installed. Then it becomes a question of electronics packaging.

I'm also strongly on the side of AI and believe it's an important safety feature for OW diving. The tank pressure is displayed in one display and is less likely to be neglected, it gives a pretty good estimate of the amount of time you have at any depth and still be able to make a safe ascent. With a minimal in-head calculation I can even allow for Rock Bottom to allow air sharing on the fly.

When I get home I review my SAC rate and tank pressures.

In the past I've had a few loss of pressure signal that were brief and I always have an analog backup SPG. Personally I would not buy a dive computer without AI except as a backup.

Ron
Hi, Ron. Thanks for asking. I'm using a Cobalt as my primary dive computer and I like it a lot. What I need for a standalone DC is just a simple reliable backup that runs decompression info.

I don't need or want an air-integrated hoseless wrist unit and would not pay extra for the option. Offering AI would probably appeal to a lot of divers, although I wouldn't buy one. Perhaps you could consider offering a lower-cost wrist unit without air integration as well as an AI wrist unit.

I know, it's all personal preference, but I have owned several hoseless air-integrated DCs and they all suffered from intermittent link failures, pairing failures including unintended pairing with the wrong transmitter, etc. I think reliable gas supply info is crucial. Maybe the technology has improved in the past couple of years but it's disconcerting to try to check your gas supply and seeing FAIL FAIL FAIL instead of psi.

Cheers and thanks again for asking for input. Few other manufacturers even bother.

Another issue is competition. If you leave out AI you're competing against the Sherwater Petrel which has a great reputation. With AI and active color display we have the Mares HD, which is a piece of garbage, and the Liquivision Lynx, which has the same ownership as Atomic now. Also, the Lynx has the inferior implementation of air time. So with AI you're essentially in the field with no competition.

Hey Ron,

I would be interested in a Cobalt Wrist with the option to buy AI later. Both of my children are running Dive Watches and Gauges presently. My son is looking at being a divemaster, and our shop requires a Integrated Gauge for all them. He loves my new Cobalt 2, but wants to stay with a wrist unit.

A wrist mount Cobalt would be the only thing that could tear me away from my Galileo Sol.

This is very interesting to me. I'm just getting back into diving after several years and I had no idea AA was planning a wrist mount computer until I stumbled onto this thread, but I'm glad to hear they are. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be able to wait for one, as I'm in need of a new computer immediately. I am curious if there are any new updates though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom