wrist vs console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrist.

Regulators get bashed around quite a bit. Computers in a console get bashed around with it.

Also easier to read. At least experienced divers do not have to check their air pressure as often as their depth.

For a new diver, I'd kind of suggest a console, for the same reason Larry brought up; it's a good thing to constantly monitor your air supply along with depth and NDL. But, most experienced divers will eventually want to refer to depth/dive time info much more frequently than air supply; so the wrist computer makes sense. Ideally you'd buy the computer you want and could move it from console to wrist mount as your diving experience increases. That's what I did; I had to pay a little extra to buy a separate wrist boot, but it worked out great.

scubatoys:
Here's my take: First, if I'm looking at my depth, I should be looking at my pressure too... so why put some of the data on this arm, some over here, some down there...
I and most of the people I dive with, only have to check their pressure a couple of times during the dive. Checking depth and time is a different matter all together. I can say that with the buddies that I dive with regularly we all know one anothers pressure and know it to with 100 psi at any time during the dive - all without looking at our spg's. I remember when Uncle Pug told me that I would be able to have that skill and I thought he was nuts... All it takes is a bit of practice. The other thing is that when ascending your left hand or console hand will be raised above your head venting your bcd. Do you really want to have try to look at your depth guage at the same time as you doing this task? This is one reason that many of us wear our computers on our right wrist. What about when you are deploying a surface marker buoy? It is far easier to look at your wrist which is now out in front of you anyway to see where you are in the water column. Yes some of us can function knowing our depth by watching particulate matter and feeling the pressure in our ears, but that is an advanced skill set that takes time to formulate that awareness.
scubatoys:
Second, I'm kind of a disorganized, messy, sloppy individual. I lose sunglasses on my head, keys in my hand. With a wrist computer, it's too big and bulky to wear around after I get out of the water, so I take it off and set it down "somewhere", and "somewhere" seems to move to the other end of the boat, dock, island, when it's time for me to go back in to the water for the next dive. I like the security that if I have a bc on, and a reg in my mouth - everything else is there. I don't put anything on legs, arms, etc. It's all attached - even I can't lose it.
When I take my computer and compass off they automatically go into the boot of a fin. My mask goes into the other one. I can always find my fins...

scubatoys:
Third, folks talked about streamline, but I have more problems with a wrist computer getting hung up when putting my arm through the bc
Simple solution - gear up with your tank. Grab your fins take out your computer and compass, put on wrists. Take out mask - put on face. Put fins on feet. Buddy check. Reg in mouth. Splash into the water. If you are shore diving, before your leave the staging area, you put the guages on wrists and mask around neck/on forehead grab fins, do your buddy check and proceed to the water. Basically what I'm saying is that you want your predive to be methodical everytime. If you practice the same steps over and over should you find yourself in a rush someday and forget a step, you will have a funny feeling and then know you have missed something before getting into the water.
When it comes to lobstering - there you have a good point. We don't have lobsters up here in the NW, so that doesn't factor into my style of diving.

I'm with Larry. I've used a console for years, and like things simple. I don't have to strap anything to my wrist. If you dive regularly, you'll have no trouble locating your console. Plus, unless you have an air integrated wrist computer, you'll be looking for your pressure guage anyway, and it's in the same location you'd have a console.

Having said all that, I realize that most (if not all) true tech divers use wrist computers. And if you're going the DIR route, you'll obviously want a wrist computer.

Most people that have been diving for any length of time have made changes to their gear. So my advice is listen to what others tell you, then get what you really want. Just be aware that you might change your preference down the road. That's what e-bay is for.

In a standard profile dive, I could get away without looking at my spg for the whole dive and know my pressure at any point during the dive and be within 100 psi or less. I only look at my spg to make sure I'm not having a gear malfunction which I do no more than 3 times in an hour plus dive. If I'm task loaded, or in current or on an air share - that is very different.

At least for me and under normal tasks, I really don't have to look spg during the dive. I don't advocate this practice until someone becomes aware enough of their sac rate to pull it off. It also will only occur if you are diving in similar conditions, with the same configuration regularly... If you are an occasional diver, attaining this skill set will be more difficult.

I dive with both. My wrist is my primary computer, but I have a console backup. Like many others here, I don't check my SPG as often as I probably should. I've become complacent in that respect and only give it the occasional glance just to make sure everything is okay and there's no malfunction. Another thought is that you could get an air-integrated wrist computer and avoid the whole console altogether. Of course if you're planning on going tech in the next few years, I'd advise against air-integrated (for heliox/tri-mix). Just my $.02.

J.

My wrist comp is air integrated, so one glance gives me air, depth, the works. No console whatsoever. I made sure to get one that will work in gauge mode, however, so once I go tech things will be a little more traditional. All I have to do is add a regular SPG to clip off to my belt.

Computer on one arm, compass on the other. No need to fumble for a console or have potentially risky retractors dripping off of me.

I believe that the wrist mount is better for me, but things like this are a matter of preference.

For tech, most tech divers prefer wrist by far. Does that make them right? Probably since tech guys make many, many dives and have the experience to realize what is the most effective way to mount / carry a computer.

Suggestion: If you get a computer and will go tech in the near future, I would like to suggest buying a computer that can:

1) do decompression calculations
2) and is capable of being used in guages mode

The reasoning behind #1 is that when you start your tech decompression course, you may not have the $1000+ to buy a VR3 or something similiar. A computer than can do decompression calcs can fill in for the time being. The reasoning behind #2 is that once you do buy a high performance tech computer, you can use your current computer in guages mode as a backup (with deco plan / tables). If the computer cannot do guages mode, you will have a computer constantly beeping and warning you if the decompression algorithms do not match.

The funny thing is my buddy and I are both facing #1 and #2. We are taking some deco classes with Hal Watts over the next couple months and my dive buddy's computer wont do decompression and my Uwatec Aladin Pro Ultra cant be set for guages. However, I think I can turn off the beeps with the memo mouse. We will see.

Good luck,

Carl the Cat

Go with the wrist mount, one less hose = less drag, and entanglement hazard. Never seen a tec diver with a console.:42:

Back
Top Bottom