Wristwatch/Computer for Gadget freak ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt.JimDavis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Sorry to bug you guys to death with this topic but even though similar subjects regularly discussed here I couldn't find the answer I was looking so I decided to ask you guys/gals again.

I am a gadget freak and I love big faced wristwatches with lots of functions other than time and date options on a watch.:dork2:

Therefore for a long time I used a Casio Sea-Pathfinder with the options like Compass/Barometer/ThermometerTide/Moon Phase.

Then my poor watch died because of an idiot jewelry store battery replacement.(they forgot to put the waterproofing seal before they closed my watch and give it back to me. Of course after first swim it flooded and died):depressed:

So now I got myself a Suunto Core Regular Black model again with Compass, Altimeter, Barometer etc. Also Suunto says that up to 30 ft this model shows the depth accurately and intended to use while snorkeling NOT SCUBA. (Understood for obvious reasons)

So, in the light of above information what do you guys recommend?

As a computer, I do not want the most advanced thing and spend nearly $2,000 for ton of stuff that I will never use.

My diving activities will be very conservative.
I am getting certified for the first time at the age of 51 and therefore I am not going to challenge myself into anything which may push me beyond my physical limitations.
90% of the time I will not be diving more than once a day.
10% may be two tank dive with well apart time between the dives (if I can get in shape)
100% of my dives will be limited to 40 ft or less.
100% of my dives to 40 ft. will be with experienced buddies.
No wreck, cave or any other kind of specialty diving.

My priority is the watch. What I mean with that is; I want a watch with ton of functions PLUS with a dive computer for beginners... Few functions like dive depth, log, water temp, dive time etc. is more than enough to me.
Is anybody ever came across a watch model like that?

The closest model I found was a Casio Dive watch but it was discontinued model.:shocked2:

This watch fits your requirements, and it is the one my wife or I wear.
JV0010-08E.jpg

I would suggest separating your watch from your dive computer. I have loved my casio pathfinder, good to 100 meters, altimiter, barometer COMPASS, WORLD TIME ZONES (Caps for the features I love the most. I wear it all the time. I love how easy it is to move the whereever in the world I'm diving and I always want a compass. I also love my uatek console dive computer. Don't skimp on the computer. Realize that $2,000. is WAaaaay expensive. Much less than half that equips you for anything incuding nitrox. I started diving when I was 55. Warning, it is fabulously addictive. Don't sell yourself short by saying you will never go below 40 feet. I promise you that you will quickly realize that is an artificial and unreasonable limitation. You don't need to go crazy but don't place limits on where you are going before you get there. That has nothing to do with pushing yourself. There is not much difference between 40 feet and 60 feet. No biggie and after a few dives you may, indeed, probably will want to enjoy a few dive vacations where you can do 2 plus dives a day without pushing yourself at all in a risky directions. I'm just saying don't lock yourself into some limitations before you even have some significant experience to decide what "pushing yourself" involves.
Enjoy, you can't imagine the fun that awaits you! You may or may not decide to get further certificatiosn, don't decide before you start. Try it out then you can make an informed decision. One of the best parts of diving is that you get to vacation in scenic, interesting places (I'm a tropical kind of guy, warm water for me).

Don't sell yourself short by saying you will never go below 40 feet. I promise you that you will quickly realize that is an artificial and unreasonable limitation. You don't need to go crazy but don't place limits on where you are going before you get there. That has nothing to do with pushing yourself. There is not much difference between 40 feet and 60 feet.

Agreed. Eventually you'll be at 40 ft and see something cool (lobster, morey, turtle, who knows?) that's a bit deeper. A couple of fin kicks and you're there. How will you resist?:wink:

Agreed. Eventually you'll be at 40 ft and see something cool (lobster, morey, turtle, who knows?) that's a bit deeper. A couple of fin kicks and you're there. How will you resist?:wink:

Well, besides that, 40 feet in general is just shallow! That's way too severe of a limitation.

Ok. Let me clarify few things:

a) When I said that I am not going to below 40 ft, I meant in a near future I won't. In a year or two if I lose 50 lbs and get in shape and wanna dive more often for all those specialty dives or adventure trips then I can invest in more sophisticated equipment. Believe me, in my past 51 years I waisted so much money on some items thinking that the "buying the best one as the first one is the best way to go" but then I realized that the 90% of the functions of that product I never used and when I sell that I lost always ton of money.

This time I don't want to do the same mistake. If I get involved more in depth than I will invest in a better quality and more sophisticated computer.

b) I know it may sound weird but I am looking something totally digital (no analog parts or indicators)

c) to be honest the main reason I wanted to get certified is to clean the bottom of my boat while at anchorage and get air filled to my tank to do that.

d) when I said 40 ft. limit, I mean you're right it maybe turn into 45 or 50 sometime in the future but it will never be a 80, 90 or 120. Like it says in my user name, I am a Captain who worked in charter business in Greek Islands, Turkish Riviera, Northern Africa and of course here in California and the most of the things I would like to look up close always sit on the beach :)

Seriously though, in my past 31 years as a Captain I've been traveled on open oceans, offshore locations, cross the Atlantic twice, being almost at every port on the mediterranean but one thing never changed. I am extremely scared of the ocean. You may call it because of a respect or call it that I know what it can do to you or what it could turn into or what it hides beyond, I always scared of the ocean.
For example I won't go for night diving if you pay me a million $$$$.
I am scared to look at the ocean from a boat's deck during the night. So, somethings will never happen. Believe me when I say that.
Again 40 ft limit may change to 45-50 yeah that's possible but it still doesn't change my need to have a computer from a midrange model to the most sophisticated one.
Maybe what I am looking for is not practical but I was just wondering.
Thanks guys...

If you aren't going beyond 40 feet you don't really need a computer as you can more or less stay at those depths until your air runs out. Maybe you need the computer to tell you where 40 feet is but otherwise you don't really need a dive computer.

Now you like watches and want one so that's another matter. If you want no analog parts then how about a Suunto Mosquito dive computer...it's watch style and is all digital and is several hundred dollars..I didn't look up exact price.

I'm sure there are cheap digital dive watches out there for even less money. You can probably find a Timex Helix (discontinued) on ebay for $50. I have one that I keep in a save a dive kit but it's not a great looking or particularly sturdy watch.

Most actual dive watches are analog with maybe a little digital feature. It sounds to me like you want an entry level digital dive computer that is watch style ...again like the Suunto Mosquito.

I think it's hard to read the Mosquito underwater for most people who are older than 45 or so. Otherwise just buy an entry level dive computer with a larger screen and wear it all the time and call it a watch...it will be all digital.

It seems like I am leaning towards Mares Puck if I have to have a computer without the watch. It seems affordable and sophisticated enough for me.

If you're looking at the Mares, then look at Aeris too, they have some models which do the job for the type of diving you describe. You might just be missing the compass. The Casio Pathfinder farside mentioned also appears to check all the boxes. It's raise my interest that's for sure.

I also wouldn't sweat it about going deeper than the limit you've set for yourself. There is an awful lot of life to see at 40 feet and above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom